Carved panel identity ??????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Any ideas on what this is depicting :?:

Andy

apr2210125.jpg

Sonnette sans.....

Ringing without....what is the last word?

French (obviously)...

Sonnette sans fils is a "wireless doorbell"...I wonder if it is a hand ringing a bell....like you would get in old mansions to ring through the house to the "downstairs"?

If I could make out the second word we might get somewhere...can you blow that bit up?

Jim

sorry jim its not a doorbell.

first word is honor.....honneur.

still cant make out the last, need a close up.

jeff

Press keys ctrl and + at the same time on your keyboard to enlarge screen :wink:

I think it says "repose" but the "s" looks like a "g"

Andy

i think its probably another english export. the english crown has claimed many parts of france over the centuries. i'm sure many of those invading bloodlines are still here.

mine is :lol:

jeff

jeffinfrance":2jawyhfy said:
sorry jim its not a doorbell.

first word is honor.....honneur.

still cant make out the last, need a close up.

jeff

AH! Me eyes had gone mate! Long day courtesy of Mr McAfee!

Interesting thread this....very interesting.

Jim

jeffinfrance":28xqee3u said:
i think its probably another english export. the english crown has claimed many parts of france over the centuries. i'm sure many of those invading bloodlines are still here.

mine is :lol:

jeff

But it started with the Norman invaders so not so much an English export as a return to sender. :lol:

Benchwayze":1oe2tawr said:
Try this one Andy...

Seems to be relative to a Coat of Arms.
and also relates to the name Montgomery.

Direct translation is 'Honour without rest'

Further...

"There was one person to whom the capture of Count Montgomery was peculiarly gratifying. Catharine de' Medici had never forgotten the murderous wound Montgomery's Catharine de- lance had inflicted upon her husband in the rough tournament held in honor of Isabella's nuptials. True, the count had entered the lists with Henry only by the
king's express command, and the fatal effects of the blow that shattered Henry's visor and drove the splintered stock into his eye, were due to no malicious intent. Nevertheless, Montgomery was never sincerely forgiven ; and when the slayer of the fatiier was captured fighting against the son, Catharine resolved that no considerations of pity should prevent his expiating his unintended crime. Nor was the Roman Catholic party loth to see summary punishment inflicted upon Montgomery in revenge for the blow he had struck the "noblesse" of Beam and tho frightful slaughter of their partisans he had authorized, five years before, during the third civil war, at the storming of Orthez.1 On the other hand, the Parisian populace was excited by the revival of the false rumor already referred to, that Count Montgomery, glorying in the mischance whereby France w.;s robbed of her king, had substituted for his ancestral coat of arms a novel escutcheon of liio own device, whereon was figured a broken lance."

Rise of the Huguenots of France By Henry Martyn Baird, 1896

The information is muddled though:

"From that day[July 10, 1557, Henry's death], Catherine took a broken lance as her emblem, inscribed with the words "lacrymae hinc, hinc dolor" ("from this come my tears and my pain"), and wore black mourning in memory of Henry."

Here's goodness: (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 ... topic=1750
)

"Chris Montgomery My great uncle's life hobby was tracing the family lineage. As far as he could tell, Montgomerie was a 14th century lord (landowner) in Normandy, hence the french on many of the crests. I don't have a picture of my crest handy, but I do have a signet ring that has an arm with a broken lance and the inscription "honneur sans repos" or "honor without rest"."

BugBear

Thanks for enlarging on that BB.

I don't use Facebook myself, although it seems there is something of worth on the site after all! For me unfortunately, it's outweighed by the bad.

So we might have a relic on our hands here? :wink:

Cheers.
John :)

Wow :shock: :shock:

Thanks so much for the info, it seems others have better search engine access than me :roll: :roll:

"Armed" with that sort of info there may be more for me to find out :wink:

Cheers
Andy

Benchwayze":2dog0iop said:
Thanks for enlarging on that BB.

I don't use Facebook myself, although it seems there is something of worth on the site after all! For me unfortunately, it's outweighed by the bad.

It just came up on my google search.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back