carba-tec lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostintheforest

Established Member
Reaction score
i've being reading this site for ages now and never needed to post anything but this time i do. I've got a carba-tec hm-1v lathe and the fuse on the back of the speed box has blown. I took it out and i cant read what size fuse it is all i know is it is a small clear glass one.
The lathe is a 240v 180w 3800rpm 1.4a 1ph and 1/5hp.
i have looked on the net but cant find anything about what fuse it takes.
thanks in advance for any help that you can gave me.

You might try contacting Craft Supplies UK that's where I bought mine from many moons ago...

Hello and welcome to the forum :D
Sorry can't help with your question,but it would be nice to see some of your work if possible.
Paul.J.

Hello and welcome :D

Bearing in mind you say it is 1.4A,and the fuse is there to prevent overloading the circuit it is protecting,I would guess a 3A fuse should do.

Andrew

Hi. From the the information you give:
240v 180 w, using ohms law should give a fuse rating of 0.75 amps.

Or using the other info:
1/5 hp = 149.14w. This would give a fuse rating of 0.62 amps

I do not know the any details of lathe in question, so I am not sure that the fuse you refere to is directly related to the motor loading or mearly protecting a circuit board or control electronics.

If it is directly for motor protection the above calcs should be true. In this case try a 1amp fuse. You may have to increase this if the data is for a no load situation.

Dave C (davol)

thanks for all your help so far i have only just started using a lathe so cant show you any pictures (i am a site joiner by trade and don't really spend time in workshops i thought a lathe would give me something else to do. i got the lathe from a friend of a friend who cant remember what size fuses it takes.
i fond some on the maplin web site but there is two types a F which is a glass quickblow and a T which is a time glass delay for high start currents and surge currents.
do you think that the T fuse would be better suited.

thanks

Hi, I agree with Dave C about fuse sizes. If you can get a 1 amp fuse, try that. If it blows, there's no harm done - that's what a fuse is for. Try the next smallest fuse (2 amp?) and so on. Use the smallest fuse that doesn't blow when the lathe is in normal use. That way I think you must eventually arrive at the right sized fuse.

Bob

Don't want to be a wet blanket on this, but might it be worth checking out why the fuse has blown? From vague memory, the Carbatec had an early electronic speed control, and I guess it's possible there is some fault with that which is causing the fuse to blow? :cry:

Latest posts

Back