Car Boot Sales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
out of interest, how do you get in early?

Whenever I turn up at the ones round here they dont let punters in until the start time. Then its a premium price (all of 50p!).

Do you wait patiently at the gate like a good boy Jim? or are you hopping over fences? :wink: :wink:

Blister":14k5mp7m said:
Was it FOGGY :mrgreen:

No, it was just full of teddy bears, cardigans and porcelain.

The only things which resembled tools were old rusty spanners and cold chisels - the type of stuff you find lost behind the seat in a tractor cabin!

Oh well...

We got there about 6.15 when it was pretty quiet (opened 6am) then it got busier. I walked around 4 times, got fed up and started looking for stuff to buy to justify being there, but I can't find much use for an old bed pan and some jelly molds so I left with nothing

hee hee good work! Do you then have to stay all day or do they let you out when you're done?

A couple of mates have done them as said that pretty much anything that is going to sell will do in the first 10 minutes. Then you spend the rest of the day drinking tea and eating bacon rolls. Which to be honest sounds great!!

mickthetree":1eod3moh said:
hee hee good work! Do you then have to stay all day or do they let you out when you're done?

A couple of mates have done them as said that pretty much anything that is going to sell will do in the first 10 minutes. Then you spend the rest of the day drinking tea and eating bacon rolls. Which to be honest sounds great!!

There were over a thousand stalls...about 30 rows last week and we drove over to one of the many marshalls and told them we needed to leave early and they put us at the end of the row on the exit track. Simples.

It seems to me Mark that you are going to the very small provincial ones. Whilst they can occasionally yield goodies...they are generally...teddy bears, cardigans and china as you say. Try and find one that is a bit bigger. I am very luck as I have one of the biggest in the country about 10 mins away and three medium size ones within a couple of miles of me.

Annie made a lot in the first half hour but then made quite good sales during the next 4 hours when the "lazy gits that have breakfast first" get there. I have been doing these since they started...a long while ago...and they are my favourite way to spend a hot summer's day. I feel I cheat the day by being up about 5 hours before anyone else. I have the rest of the day to tinkle with the goodies.

Will report back tomorrow to let you know what I found. I will take some pictures to show the size of the fair too if I remember.

Nite all

Jim

I was waiting until I had a chance to post pictures...but not got around to it yet...

1 No.5 1/2 - superb condition....

1 old box (see my other thread)

And some capital raising work....

Loads of other stuff too numerous to mention.

Jim

1 laptop - bought for £9 sold for £25

1 radio - bought for 50p sold for £5

1 Leningrad 4 meter

jimi43":2zkjzamz said:
... the "lazy gits that have breakfast first" get there.

That'd be me. To be honest, the way you're doing it sound too much like work for me to do on a Sunday, but that's obviously a preference thing, not a right/wrong thing.

Bugbear

Got these today a tenner for the plane, £1 for the dowel mate and 25p for the batch of chisels.

Plane.jpg

chisels.jpg

Dowel.jpg

Better luck this week ...

Swag-1.jpg

The axe is apparently a stone facing axe ... ? Looks quite masonic at least. Forge welded laminate steel

Axehead2.jpg

This gouge is a huge turning gouge - twice as wide as my big roughing out gouge. It has quite a dink in the edge, I think I'll wait until my wet stone is up and running before I tackle it.

Monstergouge2.jpg

This brand new machine vice for £15

Machinevice.jpg

And various milling equipment, vernier gauge by moore & wright and two sets of castors.

Millingtools.jpg

All pretty good bargains, but I can't beat five chisels for 25p Mr. Monkey =D>

They do need work, I look at the honest car booter with a few tools rather than the dealers, I was impressed with power plane as I got a PAT test certificate, a Legal ownership certificate and a years guarantee!

Dipped out on 6, 3m 2x2 pine for a fiver after deciding to "Come back later."

I have a Record 43D, vice. It's about ten years old. Not seen as much use as it might have done, but that also 'cams out' occasionally. Most usually after I have closed it up on the Q/.R. I wouldn't say that was due to wear on the screw though. Probably a result of my bad habit of over-tightening. It's a bind, (Excuse the pun) but not all that much of a problem.

Paramo and Woden both made vices. if you see either, put them under scrutiny. Good ones will last you a long, long time. (As will their sash and T bar cramps).

Good hunting

John :D

Richard T":3ezejy1v said:
All pretty good bargains, but I can't beat five chisels for 25p Mr. Monkey =D>

If you don't actually need the chisels, 25p is too much!..and the same for all the rest of the 'collectables'. If it were me, this sort of assorted 'stuff' would just become so much more 'tat' in my 'shop that I'd eventually have to get rid of...probably at another booty. Some members, (who shall be nameless Jimi :lol:) seem to be able to have the bootfair nose for that elusive gem hidden at the bottom of a bucket of rust which will eventually, with a bit of tlc, be worth having. Just a point of view - Rob

Not one of my chisels, cabinet or turning was purchased from a shop.

I don't think I ever paid any more than a quid for one...and some are worth quite a bit more than that.

Regular readers will remember the 50p Addis specials from last week for instance....

DSC_0093.JPG

Something rather similar sold for £19.40 on FleaBay today...Click Click :shock:

I also use every one of my chisels for woodworking....in fact...I just turned up a rosewood handle today using three turning chisels...over a hundred years old...and cast steel...and a joy to work with. Of course I could have bought some new Sorbys at....um...well lots and lots...

And if you want to make enough money to actually buy something you need for the workshop that you are unlikely to find at a bootfair...you could always sell what you find for nothing on FleaBay and save up. I am getting my milling machine that way...the little jeweller's lathe cross-slide from a few weeks back for £15....

DSC_0337.JPG

..just sold to a guy in Australia for £205.....

So...yes it is worth getting up at 5:30am...particularly if there is no other way of obtaining the tools you want.... :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Nice finds spannermonkey....but....

spannermonkey":3sdj9sti said:
Dipped out on 6, 3m 2x2 pine for a fiver after deciding to "Come back later."

...you missed a bargain there....

It is all too easy to dither and then come back and find what you want has gone.

Richard....a huge haul...what time did you have to get up to find that little lot?

I think we have the same taste in "stuff"....most of what you found there I would have jumped on too! The axe looks superb and I just put my "little" I.Sorby gouge from a few weeks back in my hand to compare and that one is almost identical...huge lump of cast steel!

A M&W vernier is a major find...I have a Helios one which I use all the time...I find these the best of all verniers...the dial type...better than digital and easier to read than the straight ones.

What is the little thing between the milling tools and the files? I am green about the machine vise...that is a handy bit of kit. =D>

It peed down with rain all day today and I didn't feel like dragging the missus out at 5am so she got the day off today...I had withdrawal symptoms all bleedin' morning but managed to get some work done in the shop and also making some adverts to sell some of my recent finds on FleaBay this week...more shillings for the millings! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back