Capping joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm putting some capping up on a gable end. There's is quite a big kick at the bottom and wondered how to joint the board. The problem is that the capping has an apex and drip either side. The angle on the kick is far to big to bend and screw and I don't want to put relief cuts on the bottom. I don't want to butt the boards I'd prefer to have the bottom board cut to the barge board and the higher board siting on top. so the apex profile is giving me a headache. Any suggestions on how to scribe the joint?

I'm putting some capping up on a gable end. There's is quite a big kick at the bottom and wondered how to joint the board. The problem is that the capping has an apex and drip either side. The angle on the kick is far to big to bend and screw and I don't want to put relief cuts on the bottom. I don't want to butt the boards I'd prefer to have the bottom board cut to the barge board and the higher board siting on top. so the apex profile is giving me a headache. Any suggestions on how to scribe the joint?
A quick sketch would be worth 1,000 words?!

E
A quick sketch would be worth 1,000 words?!
Hope this makes sense
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So this is a board which sits above the tiles? If so, I've never seen one overhang on the outside, out over the barge board.

Clearly the joint has to be the top one overlapping the lower one, as you've drawn it, so that water running down the capping piece doesn't track its way into the joint. I'd fix the first one in place and offer the second up, mark it and scribe it. These boards are pretty much sacrificial. They only last a few years, so you just do the best you can but don't worry about it too much.

The drip should stop water tracking underneath an rotting the top of the barge board? I've always set cappings 1/2" overhang.
Anyway, what you suggested is what I'm going to...
Thanks

That's not a detail I'm familiar with, and as Mike says it doesn't look very 'defensive' against decay. I suppose the climate is a little drier in East Anglia than here! What is the main roof covering?

Many old houses in Suffolk have cappings and barge boards primarily on pan tiles and one of the reasons for this (I could be wrong!) is it stops the wind from blowing off the tiles. I have no idea why they don't all have verges - must just be the old fashioned way up here?
The capping was made for a one off gable end to match - normally just use square edge. Interestingly ally the cappings overhang 1/2"approx round here.
Thanks

You also see it on plain tile rooves, and slate. I don't think anyone knows why the detail arose in the first place, but I've always thought that it was because it's just quicker and easier than pointing up the verge.

Kidneycutter's version is a cut above the average, with a fall planed into the top, and drip grooves underneath. Most are just a bit of flat 6x1 board.

Back