• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Candy Jar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Sweet/Candy jar made from scrap wood and a cut off wine bottle, clear glass would be better but it's all i had at the time.
photo_2020-02-29_07-41-14.jpg

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
very nice....
did you use the blow torch and cold wire trick on a turntable to cut the bottle.....?
Kids I know would prefer a bucket size'd one.....hahaha...

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
very nice....
did you use the blow torch and cold wire trick on a turntable to cut the bottle.....?
Kids I know would prefer a bucket size'd one.....hahaha...
Hi, I made a jig to hold the bottle in my lathe, hand turned whilst scoring then used my gas burner on the line and dunked it in water, 7 out of 10 times it doesn't work.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
Adam
I"v e not done it personally but I was present when a few jars and bottles were shorten,d....
the bottle was placed on a simple turn table and turned by hand...this was for a few mins with a plumbers torch heating the bottle at the desired height, after no time at all prob 2-3mins. He removed the heat on the bottle, then still turning the turntable he touched the bottle with a simple thin wire (that was dunked in a jar of cold water)....
the top just popped off on its own....
it worked every time....

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam
I"v e not done it personally but I was present when a few jars and bottles were shorten,d....
the bottle was placed on a simple turn table and turned by hand...this was for a few mins with a plumbers torch heating the bottle at the desired height, after no time at all prob 2-3mins. He removed the heat on the bottle, then still turning the turntable he touched the bottle with a simple thin wire (that was dunked in a jar of cold water)....
the top just popped off on its own....
it worked every time....
I'll give it a go, thanks :)