Getting the last Marmite out of the jar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to mention tripe and onions?
I remember first having tripe and onions at a family friends house, sat behind the sofa peeking round the edge of sofa and watching Quatermass and the Pit because said friend said it was too scary for a 12 year old. Sadly SWMBO does not like tripe and onions, not that keen on Quatermass either. Ah, memories.

Yum 😋 - although marmite over vegimite every time.
I respect your choice but please don’t invite me for supper lol - interesting though what to some is a delicious snack but to others is food from hell .. we all have our preferences. My son for example loves fries dipped In mackies strawberry milkshake but then again what does he know he actually likes the gherkins on his burger.🤣🤣🤣

Well I like both Marmite and Bovril though I haven't hd either for a few years so this post has prompted me to get some. As for tripe - I bought some for the dogs once and nearly threw up while cutting it up. Dogs seemed to like it though. My pet hate is -- (not trying to hijack the thread here) -- mushy peas. I detest the sight and smell of them. They remind me of the very worst of school dinners 60 years ago.

K

Well I like both Marmite and Bovril though I haven't hd either for a few years so this post has prompted me to get some. As for tripe - I bought some for the dogs once and nearly threw up while cutting it up. Dogs seemed to like it though. My pet hate is -- (not trying to hijack the thread here) -- mushy peas. I detest the sight and smell of them. They remind me of the very worst of school dinners 60 years ago.

K
Oh it’s all just come flooding back - I remember my mom cooking ( lights ) not sure of the spelling for the dog and the neighbours cooked pigs heads for his Alsatians . Echoing not wanting to hi jack this thread but the sight and smell of this stuff boiling away was beyond my dislike of marmite etc , I think it was some type of animal offal. The neighbours would drop the boiled pig heads in their yard and these 2 Alsatians would tear them to shreds . 🤮🤮🤮

I believe that everyone who had Marmite at home when they were children likes the stuff and people who didn't eat it as kids tend to dislike it. I wonder how that hypotheses stands up here? My own theory is that having learned how to use it is what makes the difference. I too have a friend who tried it spread thickly and hated it (see the German girl earlier in the thread) but loved it when showed how to spread an almost transparent layer on his toast. Notice the quantities in the tribal elder video as well!

K
I used buy whole green tripes for my dogs - they would eat a whole one (grass and all) between them in one meal. A Pyrenean and an English mastiff, mind, no miniatures.

I respect your choice but please don’t invite me for supper lol - interesting though what to some is a delicious snack but to others is food from hell .. we all have our preferences. My son for example loves fries dipped In mackies strawberry milkshake but then again what does he know he actually likes the gherkins on his burger.🤣🤣🤣
[/QUOTE
Gherkins are the best bit mate marmite has nothing on them!!

There was a viz top tips that might help.
“Ever struggled to get that last bit of meat paste from the bottom of the jar? simply get your dog to lick the paste from the jar then wipe a cracker on its tongue”

Food of the Gods.

On toast is a given.
Marmite and cress sandwiches, especially if the cress is dry and out of the fridge.
Marmite on crumpets.
Marmite stirred in a beef and tomato Pot Noodle.

We haven't been without (at least) one jar for 50 years plus. Used in cooking to gee up stews, casseroles...
Tried Aldi's Mighty yeast extract lately out of interest - passable, but more viscous than the real thing.

We go through a 250gm jar a week, every week. In fact I grabbed 2 500gm jars off Sainsburys shelf just last Sunday.

I suspect most people who claim to dislike it have probably never actually tasted it...which is great, because that means more around for us!

I've found just the thing for those who find the whole subject distasteful:-

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Click here

Mind you, not cheap, but well worth it if you hate the stuff 🤣

Brian

I believe that everyone who had Marmite at home when they were children likes the stuff and people who didn't eat it as kids tend to dislike it. I wonder how that hypotheses stands up here? My own theory is that having learned how to use it is what makes the difference. I too have a friend who tried it spread thickly and hated it (see the German girl earlier in the thread) but loved it when showed how to spread an almost transparent layer on his toast. Notice the quantities in the tribal elder video as well!

You might be onto something, I certainly ate Marmite from a very young age and I have it almost daily now. I'm in my early 60s.
We always have at least 1 large jar in the cupboard.

Edit: I had to comment on the Tripe too. I can't abide the stuff, my wife however, loves it. She likes Marmite too, but only a thin layer, I like to apply it quite heavily.

Lets just face it and make the true fact clear.

Nature gave us a sense of smell for a reason, to keep as safe, and if it smells terrible, the last thing you should be doing is putting it on your toast.
If thats the case then you have a genetic deficiency

There was marmite in the house when I was a kid, my Mother and sister ate it (can't remember if my Dad liked it or not). I couldn't stand the smell and had to leave the room if they were going to be eating it.

I honestly don't know if I'd like the taste of marmite because I've never been able to get it close enough to my mouth to try it, a strong enough whiff of it turns my stomach and I start to heave.

My wife loves it but will only eat it while I'm out of the house.

Back