can i use a smaller blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RorieT

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a stupid question, but can i use a 250mm blade in my new aw10, which is designed for a 254 blade?

I gather i won't get as deep a cut, but there are so many more 250mm blades on the market, and my mitre is also a 250mm so will save buying individual blades.

Thanks

My mitre saw is a Dewalt DW717. I have just checked the instructions (gasp!) and although DM-tools sell the saw as a 250mm saw, the book says its a 254 and to ONLY use 254 blades as anything less will not be covered by the guard…

Is that true, or just buttocks covering?

I can't comment on the Dewalt guarding of the 254 blade, but you ought to remember that the ripsaw blade teeth on the AW10, will differ somewhat from the mitre saw and also the profile, as a X cutting blade will be around 24 teeth, the AW10 will use right up to 60 or 80 teeth on particle boards.
Regards Rodders

I've been thinking similarly as my circular saw has 237mm blades and everyone else sells 235mm blades. I don't think a couple of mm make any difference at all re diameter, if you resharpen them they'll probably lose some diameter any way. The main difference is whether the kerf and overall blade thickness are the same or not. Similar blades to mine are generally thicker in both, which may impact the effectiveness of the riving knife and cause more kickback or jamming.

Back