Can anyone tell me how this table has been made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My item may have been pretty much useless, but as an introduction to woodworking it was quite well thought out - a couple of quid's worth of material (not outrageous if ruined) and the use of a square, a marking knife, a mortice gauge, a mallet, a couple of chisels, a tenon saw, a coping saw and a spokeshave.

Well boys, as intresting as your schoolday reminisces are I think the American's would say “your blowing smoke up your ass”
Looks like their gone,,,and who could blame them?
Steve.

Seems you might be right, though I'm not seeing why Steve.
Though it can't be said some options weren't given, I still am left feeling that
the question wasn't answered for Homegrownheros liking as of yet.

There is of yet, too much info left out really.
The plan to use scaffold planks, with unplaned faces for a look...
though not wish to confirm if they wish to keep them as individual pieces,
(needing affixings on each, and a gap in-between as per potting table kinda thing,)
... or if they wish to edge join them to make the top one piece.

Seeing as those timbers on the top were showing compression,
I'd guess the idea was to for no gaps to be in-between them.
Mentioning this would be a start.

All the best
Tom

Well boys, as intresting as your schoolday reminisces are I think the American's would say “your blowing smoke up your ass”
Steve.
Somebody been rude about the orange man? :unsure:

I don't see why some posters are so dismissive about HomeGrownHeroz's table photo. Similar things sell for quite a lot of money in the trendy shops in places like Shoreditch in London - reclaimed pallet furniture and the like. The look is deliberately crusty, but the furniture can be solidly made.

I would have thought it would be a good project to dive into. The table frame construction would be as described by Sgian Dubh a few posts back and the main thing to beware of is that reclaimed scaffolding timber is full of grit and crud, so you'll go through planer blades like there's no tomorrow. Hand planes are out unless you want to resharpen every time you hit a nail or stone. Begging old timbers from a loft conversion can be a good source but the wood can be nasty to work with - full of splintery knots and nails and such. A good magnet can help locate sunken nails if you dont have a metal detector.

The top can be a simple slab held on by the metal bracket type of buttons - and if nails fit the cosmetic look, square floorboard nails go nicely blackish after a while and drilling pilot holes first is a good idea. The nails don't have to be part of the construction, just part of the look, so you can snip them off short if you want.

...... Hand planes are out unless you want to resharpen every time you hit a nail or stone. ...
Scrub plane is good. A few nicks won't hold you up and they are very easy to sharpen anyway. I've used one a lot on old wood - the ECE version. The plane finds the nail the magnet misses and I pull it out with a parrots beak extractor etc.
Otherwise I agree - there's a lot of fuss about nothing on this thread!

Last edited:
Back