Calling all benchtop bandsaw owners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
As you may know i'm new to woodworking and i'm interested in buying a 10" benchtop bandsaw, which is the only one really in my budget and space to fit my garage.

The question is if any of you own such a machine and what do you use yours for and would it be a good investment?

I am a hobby woodworker, I use my bandsaw (Axminster AWSBS2) for re sawing, cutting tenons, etc etc, it is probably the most used woodworking machine I have, so much so that I intend to buy a larger capacity bandsaw when I can afford one.

When you buy one, ring or email Ian at Tuffsaws and buy a new blade(s) from him, I was never 100% happy with my bandsaw until I fitted a Tuffsaws blade, it made a mediocre saw into a great saw.

Baldhead

Hi

Any sized decent band saw is an excellent almost essential investment - get the largest you can afford / accommodate and be prepared to want a bigger one.

I use mine mainly for converting kiln dried boards into turning blanks.

Regards Mick

paul24dual":1w0qmyi4 said:
I'm interested in buying a 10" bench-top band-saw, which is the only one really in my budget and space to fit my garage.
Noting your requirement, and understanding the budget issues, both space and financial - what are you going to do with your band-saw when it's not on your bench?
I unexpectedly acquired a 14" floor-standing Record, its footprint is surprisingly small, and with a bit of effort it wheels away nicely into the corner of the garage; if I had a bench-top unit I'd lose part of my (already too small) bench, and assuming I had somewhere to store it I'd have to go through all of the palaver of moving the lawn-mower and the bikes, digging it out, setting it up, ..., by which time I'd have thought about a nice cup of tea and lost the plot, a wheeled base might be a worthwhile accessory for a bench-top unit that would let you get more use out of it.

Cheers,

Kev.

I would agree with Kev about mobility.

My little Burgess "benchtop" bandsaw is sat on a reclaimed cupboard with wheels so I can move it around my workshop.

Well I would be able to if I had a tidier workshop!

It is my first bandsaw and free at that I upgraded it with Tuffsaw blades, which are great but I already want a bigger bandsaw for resawing!

I would recommend buying the biggest and toughest that you can afford as it would appear you always find bigger bits of wood to throw at it.

Hi Paul,

My little DeWalt benchtop bandsaw has a 12" throat and a 6" cutting depth. I have mounted it on a stand and given it wheels so that I can move it into any position in my garage and put it out of the way when the cars go in. Value would be around £100 and you can find these on e-bay. It is using Tuffsaw blades of 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" and runs superbly. You are welcome to come over and see what it does if you wish, so that you can get an idea of how it may copare to others before you buy.

Alex

I have a small record power bandsaw which was fairly rubbish when I bought it but with a bit of tuning and a £11 Axcaliber "smooth cut" blade it cuts through ash, ebony and anything else I can throw at it.

There's a video doing the rounds of an American whose company sells blade guides. He show you how to set up a bandsaw in 10 mins flat. If someone else on here knows the video I'm on about then maybe they can post it. I highly recommend you watch it.

Bandsaws are essential in a workshop as far as I'm concerned

Like Alexam, I have a dewalt bandsaw, actually it's an elu but same stable, different colour. With a new blade it easily tackles full depth in oak. The fence is rubbish though.

K

No need for co planar . . . . and I spent hours getting my bandsaw wheels perfectly aligned. :roll:

That's the video cheers skronk.

EVERYONE, new or experienced should watch this video. It changed how I work with my bandsaw instantly.

I feel the biggest improvement for me was getting the teeth to ride on the apex of the tyres. What a difference!

+1 for tuff saw blades

I got my bench saw as budget and space an issue... was so disappointed with it as it wouldn't even cut 6mm ply in a straight line. ... fitted a tuffsaw blade and can now cut 70mm hardwood nice and straight!!!

I use my saw for lots. .. valuable bit of kit!

bugbear":p321agh7 said:
IIRC Jimi speaks highly of his little 3 wheel bandsaw, within its limitations.

BugBear

Indeed he does, and so do I.

I keep mine set up in one corner, on top of a chest of drawers. If I ever needed to cut something big I could move it onto the bench, but I can't remember when I last did. In its current position I can use it for things like ripping a moulding off the edge of a board, or as here, cutting curved chair legs:

IMG_0206.jpg

I think its best features are the relatively beefy motor on such a small tool, enabling it to cut up to its full capacity, and the decent throat depth.

Thanks for the replies, i'm a little confused what bandsaw to buy really, i've been around & around in my head but not getting any clearer.

Woodworking is brand new to me and the things i want to use my bandsaw for to make are the following

Birdhouses
Toys
Little ornaments like fishes for the bathroom
Chopping boards
Shelfs
Small Furniture - bookcase, small table etc
Maybe bigger furniture later
Picture Frames
Mirrors
Boxes

1. Do i buy new or second hand?
2. Any recommendations on the size i should be looking for?
2. Any Recommendations regarding makes/models?

Space is a bit of a problem in my garage so that would be a factor too.

Thanks and hopefully it will make things clearer.

Back