Quantcast

Buying my first scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mh84

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first scroll saw. I've had a look at the video on the forum which was great but I think for my needs; generally just having a mess about cutting the odd piece of wood, the lower price end is where I'm at.

I've seen a couple which I was hoping someone might be able to say if either is better than the other or is there another one out there I may have missed....

1) Record Power SS16V Scroll Saw 16-inch on Amazon for £139.

2) Scheppach SD1600V 120W 406mm Scroll Saw 240V for about £130.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is cut straight, neat lines but I can't see a guide on either of the below saws. Is this something that I would need to purchase separate?

As I said, I'm a complete novice and just want to have a play about and see what I can come up with really.

Thanks a lot!
Mark

loftyhermes

Established Member
Reaction score
The Aldi ones are rebadged Scheppach machines, not sure who makes the Lidl ones. You won't get a guide to cut a straight line by the very nature of how the blades are made they will always cut to one side, the majority are stamped out so leave a burr on them, how far of straight depends on the quality of the blades. The only way to cut straight or good curves is practice, practice and more practice.

Aquachiefofficer

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a RP Ss16V for £100 a few months ago so it's worth looking around for a better price. As for the machine it performs well for the price and like yourself I bought it to try my hand at scrolling. The variable speed is worth having and it came with a 5 year guarantee.
Paul

mh84

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

It seems the Record Power model is the one.