Buying my first ever set of hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubby

Reaction score
I have just bought my first ever set of hand tools ready for making furniture. My college tutor suggested starting with second hand stanley or Record planes and i have some chisels I got from Aldi for £7.99 that are actually really good My tutor James Dawson said they are really rather good for such a cheap price
My plan is to eventually buy some ashley Ilse and some Japanese chisels too I alsdo have A Dozuki Me tenon saw

Hi there,

I've also got a set of the Aldi chisels and love them, although i've nothing modern to compare them too.

Have you decided on a sharpening method yet? I recommend Eze-Lap diamond plates, I'm not all that experienced in sharpening but have no problem getting my tools edge nice and sharp with them.

Regarding planes deffo keep an eye on ebay or car boot sales when they start for an old one, someone brought me a brand new Record 04 as a christmas present and it was a bit of a disaster however I've got an old stanley I got off ebay and an old Talco and both are superb :).

Welcome to a woodier world.

Your tutor is spot on, Old stanleys and records are the place to start. Plenty on ebay and at car boots.

Top tip, go for the older and more solid frogs.

good n bad sm.jpg

That pic should be called ok and a lot better on the right.

Attachments

• good n bad sm.jpg
    good n bad sm.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 725

Latest posts

Back