Buying direct from the US

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've purchased stuff from the States before and if you shop around and insist they use a more economical means of shipping - most appear to use UPS who IMHO are outrageously overpriced - you can get some good deals.

Also when buying from the States - or anywhere else for that matter - check on the Customs code - there is a heck of a lot of differnce between some items and you need to do a bit of research - easy enough on the Customs & Excise site. Then you have to make sure its shipped using the right code.

Alternatively - if you know anyone in the States - get them to buy it for you and ship it over as a "pressie" - nudge nudge wink wink.

Outstanding value for money at the moment with the dollar being so weak against the old quid.

I have found that USPS generally slips under the radar - not so with UPS, FEDEX etc. - they always charge the extras!

Rod

Fedex are so highly computerised that I don't think that a single parcel that is liable for tax gets through their systems untaxed.

As for USPS, of the last three parcels I've had from them, only one was stopped by Parcelforce for duty payment when it arrived in England. On the other two, I had nothing to pay. USPS shipping costs are very reasonable too.

I recently brought in a package using USPS and it was delivered by the Post Office...they would not deliver until I paid the duty. Another package from a different supplier (Router bit world) was not subject to duty. It all depends on the value of the goods declared on the shipping manifest.

herdsman":2b6m1ged said:
I recently brought in a package using USPS and it was delivered by the Post Office...they would not deliver until I paid the duty. Another package from a different supplier (Router bit world) was not subject to duty. It all depends on the value of the goods declared on the shipping manifest.
I had a parcel delivered this morning via USPS & Parcelforce, it took 11 days, not as quick as fedex (2 days), just waiting to see if I get a bill in the post for the Taxes, probably not as the goods only came to $60 + $30 postage, we'll see.

The goods I bought were a jig for drilling wooden hinges, a 1/8" x 6" long drill and a 3/8" bullnose router cutter, the reason why I bought from the states was I could not find anywhere in the UK that stocks this item, I could have got the incra jig for about £75 + £20 for the cutter + a few quid for the drill.

I get a lot of stuff from the US....golf components. I make up and custom fit clubs as a hobbie.

Fedex are my least favorite way of having things delivered...they automatically take the duty and their handling fees.

I have a US conection who sends me stuff "returned under warranty" or "clients own goods returned after repair";-) We use USPS which turns into Parcel Force once on this side of the pond.

Piers

motownmartin":28nw4qe2 said:
herdsman":28nw4qe2 said:
I had a parcel delivered this morning via USPS & Parcelforce, it took 11 days, not as quick as fedex (2 days), just waiting to see if I get a bill in the post for the Taxes, probably not as the goods only came to $60 + $30 postage, we'll see.

The goods I bought were a jig for drilling wooden hinges, a 1/8" x 6" long drill and a 3/8" bullnose router cutter, the reason why I bought from the states was I could not find anywhere in the UK that stocks this item, I could have got the incra jig for about £75 + £20 for the cutter + a few quid for the drill.
No taxes paid on this small parcel :D

Latest posts

Back