Hello all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wentbackward

Reaction score
I've just joined after reading a lot of good advice on the forums here, in particular about bandsaws, 3p VFDs and related topics. I returned to the UK about 18 months ago after living in HK for 24 years. I ran a small fine-art photography printing business for many years, which led me into various other-skills including woodworking, which started with making my own canvas stretchers and grew from there. Unfortunately when (and how) we moved meant I pretty much sold or gave away my shop out there as the cost of shipping and tax just made it not worthwhile. Now I am slowly re-establishing a shop back here. Not doing printing and framing (for now) but have already refurbished and sold/flipped a property.

The access to materials and equipment here in the UK is amazing, you'd think being on the doorstep of China, that doing stuff in HK is easy, but there's almost non-existant DIY, space there is a premium and everything needs to be especially shipped in. In HK I had a choice of one bandsaw from the local Makita dealer, here I can't decide what to do, there's so much choice. Being able to buy decent tools without the crazy cost of shipping is so nice and getting quality stuff instead of ridiculous 'cheap' stuff that knocks around in Asia. It's totally different over there, where labour is cheap, safety is non-existant and so quality tools are not really easily available.

I'm sure you can tell that having a decent shop is a key motivator to being back home. Hopefully I can contribute something to the forums. I'm currently knocking together some cube style storage for my kids, will post picks once done with the 12 or so cubes.

- WB

Hong Kong must have been interesting. I know a couple of ex hk police officers ( now back in the uk )

Welcome to the forum 👍

Many thanks! Yeah there were lots of brits in the police force out there. A few of the bike police would join us for a Sunday ride. HK was a blast, but I think that time is over. I’m glad to see it opening up again though.

Latest posts

Back