Buying direct from the US

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would try and buy something directly from the US, I wanted a few incra bits and bobs, to buy them in this country it was going to cost me £170, so I went to Woodpecker and they quoted me $194 but on top of that they wanted $140 for shipping which brought the total up to $334 which is just under £170, on top of that I could be charged Tax, so I went somewhere else, Eagleamerica.com, the cost of the items here were $185 and the shipping (Fed-ex priority) $53, total cost $238 which is about £120, now if I don't have to pay tax it will be a saving of £50, if I do have to pay tax I reckon i'll still make a saving, anyway, ordered it last Night and fed-ex say that it will be with me before 12noon on Monday :D

Just thought you might be interested.

good luck Martin - i ordered from Lee Valley and had to pay tax plus the tax collection fee (£12?) from the courier. From memory they sent a letter with the amount owing, I then had to pay by card before they released it for delivery.

Still cheaper than UK

oddsocks":cvdvxeqx said:
good luck Martin - i ordered from Lee Valley and had to pay tax plus the tax collection fee (£12?) from the courier. From memory they sent a letter with the amount owing, I then had to pay by card before they released it for delivery.

Still cheaper than UK

Fed-ex tell me its at Stanstead and been released, It's quite exciting :lol:

chipp71970":2bmla0dx said:
What did you order anyway Martin and who were you going to buy from in the UK was it http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/woodpeckers.htm
Chip, I have ordered the Miter1000, WWW don't have this one but could order it, Rutlands have it for £100, also the 1/2" Whiteside incra dovetail cutter set, WWW have this for £65 +del.

Why :?

motownmartin":3grq1877 said:
chipp71970":3grq1877 said:
What did you order anyway Martin and who were you going to buy from in the UK was it http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/woodpeckers.htm
Chip, I have ordered the Miter1000, WWW don't have this one but could order it, Rutlands have it for £100, also the 1/2" Whiteside incra dovetail cutter set, WWW have this for £65 +del.

Why :?
Ah, you are Roger at woodwoerkersworkshop or Roger's mate :D

Well, as promised the package arrived this morning at 9;30, and there were no import taxes or vat to pay, bargain, the only thing is that Eagle-America charged me $6 International shipping charges.

A nice £50 saving for me, in percentage terms about 30%.

I shall be doing this again with Eagle-America.

No i'm not Roger and have nothing to do with them I just thought they were the only people who sold stuff like that oh and maybe Rutlands.

I spoke to Roger a couple of years ago about getting a Mitre express for my EB 250 table saw but it does not fit my mitre slot. He rang my home late one evening and chatted for about an hour about tools he's very knowledgable. I thought that was a bit strange him ringing me up but I suppose he's just a helpful person.

Sounds good that you didn't get charged taxes etc I might order some bits myself.

chipp71970":21yx3pht said:
No i'm not Roger and have nothing to do with them I just thought they were the only people who sold stuff like that oh and maybe Rutlands.

I spoke to Roger a couple of years ago about getting a Mitre express for my EB 250 table saw but it does not fit my mitre slot. He rang my home late one evening and chatted for about an hour about tools he's very knowledgable. I thought that was a bit strange him ringing me up but I suppose he's just a helpful person.

Sounds good that you didn't get charged taxes etc I might order some bits myself.

Sorry chipp :wink: Roger gets most of his business done in the evenings and I have used them to buy my LS positioner and woodpecker router plate, but this was an experiment to see how things went.

I just looked at woodpecker the Mitre express would be £67 and its £109 at Rutlands I am not too bothered about money saving more the fact that the Yanks get all the good gadgets :lol:

Had a bill from Fedex this Morning for £35, damn, I thought I got away without paying any Taxes, but it was still a bit cheaper and I bought some imperial sized cutters which I couldn't find in the UK, so I can say that I haven't had to pay over the odds for something from the states or have I :roll:

I bought myself an Osborne EB3 and had it delivered to a colleague in NY, and am going there on a business trip next week and will pick it up.

Cheap way of buying in US if someone else pays for the air ticket!

Jhalfa":y0wkqctl said:
I bought myself an Osborne EB3 and had it delivered to a colleague in NY, and am going there on a business trip next week and will pick it up.

Cheap way of buying in US if someone else pays for the air ticket!
That should fit in your suitcase ok, I bet you get inundated with PM's now that you said you're going next week :lol: by the way can you pick up an Incra hinge crafter for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pity you couldn't have kept the total cost under £100 as that's your personal allowance from bringing goods in from outside the UK/EU and there would have been no taxes due.

We hit this a few years ago when our kids (in the US) sent us our Xmas gifts all in one package and the value was over £130 - we had to pay taxes etc. Since then they split the packages or don't spend as much! Yes, the tax even applies to gifts...

White House Workshop":2ro17vo1 said:
Pity you couldn't have kept the total cost under £100 as that's your personal allowance from bringing goods in from outside the UK/EU and there would have been no taxes due.

We hit this a few years ago when our kids (in the US) sent us our Xmas gifts all in one package and the value was over £130 - we had to pay taxes etc. Since then they split the packages or don't spend as much! Yes, the tax even applies to gifts...

I think the value of goods that are not subject to vat and import duty is a lot less when buying on the internet, vat is also applied to the carriage charges. One of my recent purchases was approximately £65 and I had to pay duty on this.

I think you will find that the maximum amount (before you start paying import duties/tax etc) for gifts sent by post is as little as £18.

Cheers

Mike

White House Workshop":2mxj601x said:

Thats good to know

Thanks

Back