Buying a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Right im a student on a very studenty budget and am wondering what would be the best advise as i have nothing. No chucks no tools no lathe. I go on the lathes at school regularly but very much wish to get my own so would like the best quality cheap recommendations possible. Thank you for your time reading this first post and only been a member like 30 minutes :).
Matt

Welcome to the forum matmac , if you add an indication of your location in your profile it may be that some existing members are near you and can introduce you to local clubs to give you guidance or guide you to available equipment they are aware of that may be of interest.

Best bet is to keep your eye open on EBay. Occasionally you get a decent small one for a reasonable price. usually need to be collected mind. I know a couple of pros who use a Fox Mini and reckon it's a good little lathe which is another option. Tools again keep your eyes open for 2nd hand ( try and stick to HSS) and you can make loads of things just using a face plate and between centres. Scrap wood and hot glue, whilst not as quick and easy perhaps, can se youthrough bowls and things until you can afford a chuck.

Hope this helps

pete

Welcome to the forum.

My first proper lathe was then the cheapest available and I borrowed the money from a family member. The tools I picked up at a car boot sale, the only machinery item I bought in a shop was the cheapest grinder I could find, it cost £16. The bench was made of old pallets and a builders scaffold board.

I then invested in the book by Mr. Rowley, something about a foundation course (Cannot remember the title!) which I propped up behind the lathe and followed his instructions.

Nowadays I would recommend anyone wishing to start out to join a club, members of the larger clubs are often upgrading their stable and mini or midi lathes can be obtained relatively cheaply!

Regards, Peter.

Thank you all very much and i live in worstershire so any cubs neer there?
its very nice to get such a respose.

All of the above require money, electrickery and sound non studentery in terms of budget.

The earliest type of lathe was powered by a wooden spring, a cord and muscle. Its a bodgers lathe or pole lathe. It can be made from crude forest wood or from planed 2x wood. The wooden spring can be made to be controllable as to force required.

Look here http://www.bodgers.org.uk/index.php

and here is a pole lathe http://www.bodgers.org.uk/gallery/m...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1946&g2_serialNumber=2

regards
Alan

I've got the book mentioned in a previous post - it's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley and it's excellent. If you look on Ebay I managed to also got a copy of the DVD which is very good as you can also see what's happening.

Hi Matt,

As other have said, I would recommend joining a club - loads of advice / experience to tap into as well as here.

If the club is part of the AWGB (Association of Woodturners of Great Britain) then I think the AWGB have 'sets' of kit (lathe / tools etc) that they will loan to newcomers to see if they like it and to help the initial outlay.

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Click on 'Traning' and then 'Development' sub menu and read the bit on 'Equipment Grant'.

BRgds

S

You guys are so awsome, thank you for all the advise and help. Im hopefully going to do a foundation furniture making course and thinking ide liek my own lathe just so i can try and build up my portfolio.
You guys rock .
Thank you for all the advise, very much appreciated :lol:

petercharlesfagg (UK)":qkvjyblh said:
My first proper lathe was then the cheapest available and I borrowed the money from a family member.
Just thinking aloud, this lathe I gave to Coombe Abbey Woodturners for one of their up and coming juniors who needed a lathe. As I understand it now he has grown up and is himself demonstrating turning to others, perhaps someone who knows him might ask what he did with the old lathe?? Regards, Peter

Addendum.

It would be good if someone could find the lathe, but I must apologise for hijacking a thread with my own grumbles. It is not the thing to do.
Regards, Peter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
lol That would be amazing.
i would be so grateful and when i was done would carry it on :)
anyway thanks for suggesting it no matter what comes of it

matmac":3uvab3my said:
Right im a student on a very studenty budget and am wondering what would be the best advise as i have nothing. No chucks no tools no lathe. I go on the lathes at school regularly but very much wish to get my own so would like the best quality cheap recommendations possible. Thank you for your time reading this first post and only been a member like 30 minutes :).
Matt

Matt

If you are still looking for a lathe I've just been sent details of one which I can email to you. It apparently comes with chuck, drive and centres. May also be variable speed looking at the photos and is in the Warwickshire area.

Mark

just a thank you to those providing links here - I am also new 'in here' and quickly found details of a club near Maidstone....

My AWGB club has a loan setup, Axminster M330 lathe, chuck, set of tools, grinder, sanding sealer, wax, sandpaper, the complete setup, they loan out to newbies for £5 per month. Well worth enquiring.

Back