Burr Oak Topped table - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well as some of you may remember I used to post quite regularly on here and have had a bit of a break but still been as busy as ever so after receiving a few PMs asking me to get off my backside (Baldhead) and post some WIPS here we go.

The brief for this commission was a simple contemporary framed table with tapered legs and a highly figured top surface - after lengthy discussion with the clients the following table is what was made - It was designed to go in their studio apartment flat so they specifically didn't want anything too big but sufficient to seat 6.

Anyway I started with the frame and four legs were cut from solid clean 4" oak and planed down to 80mm square in section

Once straight and square the legs were tapered on the table saw using a home made tapering jig leaving the bottom of the leg 40mm square having only tapered the inner faces of each leg

Each leg was then hand planed to get the tapers crisp and clean - nothing like a bit of hand planing to relax the mind!!

With the legs cleaned up the mortice holes for the tenons were cut on the hollow chisel morticer, taking the mortice holes deep enough to meet each other

With all the mortice holes cut it was time to turn attention to the tenons on the rails that had already been prepared - these were cut on the radial arm saw

With the cheeks of the tenon removed, each one was cut down in width on the bandsaw ready for forming the sloping haunch

The sloping haunches were then cut with a sharp chisel

And the corresponding cut made into the mortice holes

The ends of the tenons were then mitred on the chop saw to allow them to meet inside the table leg

The simple frame could then be assembled dry to check for fit

Before gluing up I decided to add a couple of cross rails to add rigidity to the top frame and these were cut in using sliding dovetails

With the construction of the frame complete i could turn attention to the top!

With the frame all made started to prepare the burr oak for the centre top panel which is where all the detail in the table would be and hence why the simple frame was constructed. The burr panel started in a pile of oak burrs i had acquired ready for the job

Each piece of burr was taken in turn and cut down on the bandsaw into 12mm thick scales

The resulting scales were kept in piles ready for use later - each lump produced between 5 and 7 slices

All the scales were then passed through the thicknesser to get an even 10mm finished thickness before I stared what would end up being a large jigsaw, each piece of burr was cut with the fretsaw to marry into the next piece following the pattern of the burr - the separate pieces were carefully joined and glued slowly building up the large panel needed

This was a slow and quite laborious process but the finished panel would be worth all the work

Once the oversize piece was together it was carefully sanded before all the cracks and open knots were cut out and replaced with dutchmen from the off-cuts of the burr that matched

After filling all the larger fissures then the small openings were filled with shellac filler stick of appropriate colour for the burr, obviously this had to be fully done before the board could be bonded to a base board as the last thing I wanted was for the glue to force its way up through the open burr and spoil the top surface

Once this was all done, and it took quite a while the burr panel was then bonded onto a 12mm birch faced plywood board and very well weighted to allow the glue to cure - I used standard titebond as I have done many times before and a good flat surface was achieved

Once dry the panel was cut to side and a 75mm with solid clean oak edging was applied having formed a tongue on the board which was let into a groove on the framing, once dry a 3mm groove was cut and a fine black and white dentil inlay stringing line was let in to seperate the burr from the clean oak edging

the finished appearance was very pleasing to the eye

Having carefully rubbed and scraped the surfaces the top and frame were duly lacquered with pre-cat and a good coat layered up on the table surface

After some careful de-nibbing, rubbing down and polishing this is the finished table that I delivered to extremely happy clients last Monday evening

I hope you approve of my efforts!

Baldhead":3809hkxj said:
Welcome back Roger

Why sloping haunches on the tenons as opposed to a straight forward haunch?

Baldhead

Tradition I suppose Stew, its how my grandfather taught me to do it!

Great to see you back and posting again. I've really missed your posts.
Hope everything at home got sorted out for you.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this, it's great to see some quality work. Not being totally familiar with your work (apart from knowing it's quality) are all your commissions this involved or do you do some more run of the mill stuff as bread and butter?

Nathan

Thanks for that Roger, what an inspiration for others, to see the tenacity involved to marry those Burr slices goes further than a one off WIP for me, those images will keep coming to the fore when I view older furniture that has had similar craft dedication applied.

Wow - that's a really stunning piece of work. Did you produce a sketch or model for the piece beforehand? I bet the client is really pleased.

Dodge, could you give any more detail of the process of the top. Do you cut one piece, then mark the second using it, or are both parts cut together?

Back