Building the Lingerie Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David

We are at the train station at Edinburgh (been here a couple of days), just waiting to travel to Burley-in-Wharfdale to meet up with family. Spent yesterday at Loch Lomond. It was COLD! I think I shall stick to Perth Oz heat :D Overall, the weather has been "mild" - fortunately no rain.

I have been dreaming of designs for draw pulls. I wonder what that means?

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek
When you come to Cornwall will you be anywhere near Redruth ? If so it would be great to meet you.
By the way- are you a "cousin jack" returning home for a visit ?
I hope the weather remanis decent whilst you are here. Its OK at the moment.

Cheers ------- Arnold

Burley-in-Wharfedale
Many moons ago I used to walk over the moors to a nice pub there. :)

Rod

Cheers

Derek[/quote]

I hate to state the obvious Derek (although, I suspect you are already aware), it means you are getting old mate :D

As a young man I used to dream of fast cars and women, now similar thoughts of drawer pulls and neat fitting dovetail joints fill my mind.

I guess that's the way it should be, dreaming in reverse order would be more of a concern.

David

arnoldmason8":21h4hutp said:
Hi Derek
When you come to Cornwall will you be anywhere near Redruth ? If so it would be great to meet you.
By the way- are you a "cousin jack" returning home for a visit ?
I hope the weather remanis decent whilst you are here. Its OK at the moment.

Cheers ------- Arnold

Thanks for the offer, Arnold. Lynndy and I shall be "nearby", based inin St Ives. I have no idea of our movements when we are there. I shall check, but I suspect Plans have been made.

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek

Bluekingfisher":2lxbzj0s said:

Cheers

Derek

I hate to state the obvious Derek (although, I suspect you are already aware), it means you are getting old mate :D

As a young man I used to dream of fast cars and women, now similar thoughts of drawer pulls and neat fitting dovetail joints fill my mind.

I guess that's the way it should be, dreaming in reverse order would be more of a concern.

David

David, I am in full denial of my age. I have a birthday coming up (in a few days, Lynndy reminds me), and I shall be one year younger.

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek

Hope your UK visit is going well and the weather stays dry, if you're passing through Hampshire pop into the workshop!

Hi Custard

Thank you for your offer. Lynndy says we can only stay with you for three weeks. I hope that this fits in with your plans.
:D

I wish we really could do this. One day ...

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek

Just a quick update on the Lingerie Chest.

Four drawers done. They take 3 full days each to build (1 1/2 weekends). This includes thicknessing/sawing/shaping all the parts, dovetailing, and fitting.

The gaps between the drawers will be sorted out once all are done. There will be 1/16" between the drawers.

Four-drawers1a_zpsynhxipyk.jpg

Four-drawers2a_zpsvzoqnugo.jpg

And the obligatory dovetail shot :)

The dovetails increase progressively, as with the size of the drawers.

Four-drawers3a_zpsdhlbmsxq.jpg

Next post will be after all the drawers are done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks David.

Got another drawer mostly done this weekend. Each one really needs three days: one for preparing the parts ... jointing, thicknessing, shaping, one for dovetailing and shaping the drawer front, and a third for fiting (into the chest, then making and fitting the drawer bottom).

It's like watching grass grow. I'll post pictures again when the drawers are done. Lots to do after that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Norm Abrams has a lot to answer for, building a tall boy in a couple of half hour shows doesn't begin to identify the amount of time it takes to build a piece of furniture.

How much time do you reckon you have invested so far?

With this in mind, it makes one wonder how the pro boys eek a living from building furniture, even with the benefit of machines (which I know you don't use much).

Looking forward to the next installment.

David

Hi David

If I was sensible (because anyone who builds stuff like this with handtools is crazy) and meeting a deadline, I would do it differently. For example, all the drawers would be vacuum bagged laminations around a form, not carved out of solid wood. And if I did choose to do them out of solid wood, I would build a cradle for a router, and carve them that way.

The carcase would not actually taper. It would be square with legs that taper and create the illusion that the carcase is tapered.

The drawers would not be compound dovetails, but square with planted fronts. Further, there would not be slips but grooves in thick side walls. Try plywood for the drawer bottoms - all you need to do is size it with a tablesaw.

Any other shortcuts?

But I am not sensible, so I do not do any of this.

Almost finished the fifth drawer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a great answer Derek, a credo for the woodworker working for the pleasure and satisfaction of the journey, and seeking a superior object along the way.

Looking very, very good. You must be delighted with the results.

=D>

Are you entirely self taught or have you had any formal training? Impressive either way!

Latest posts

Back