Building a shed in Finland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite clever, helps prevents drafts into the house. Our cat flap does left in a good draft in winter, I've thought about building a box with another cat flap on it that goes against the door in winter time. The draft does help when making a fire though.

All the posts are now assembled. Still attaching some plates to stiffen it up in the direction of the gables.

exYGNsXh.jpg

Double studs under the side beams as well
CpzZEPjh.jpg

This is how I move the beams, I really like this solution, didn't need to buy anything at all, I already had this and it works as well.

IFBBUIIh.jpg

muvzDomh.jpg

The ridge beam, still gonna do some work on it before getting it up on the roof.
IJcy90Zh.jpg

We all find ways and means lol I know how i struggled on my own setting up 4.5 metre 7x 2 ridge before attaching rafters it was very heath robinson

Phew! That was a few tricky operations and I'm not done yet. Getting the ridge beam in place.

First I made a kind of ladder so I could move the beam a little a time
jNB4VBEh.jpg

It worked well enough until the last stage, that one was the heaviest. I am not sure if I can do this with the side beams as they are heavier. I need to consider that a bit.
g7S5CoIh.jpg

Then I had to get it up the next step and lifting from a ladder is really difficult, wasn't gonna work. I made some diagonal braces instead and I greased them up with waxilit which is a dry wax based lubricant I put on cast iron tables, like the table saw. This made it a lot easier to slide the beam sideways.

RtRfJ4Ih.jpg

I was using a ratcheting winch but apparently it was not in any of my photos. I ratcheted it a bit and then I screwed in a step for it to rest on.
TGFPRovh.jpg

Then I had to remove the winch and go to the other side and ratchet it up all the way on that side. Then go back again and do it one final time.
l55nWi9h.jpg

But I still got the center post left... That's gonna be even worse.
AFOznE9h.jpg

But I got it figured out, gonna attach the winch to a 2x4 which will be attached to the center post and winch it up. I am gonna need to get another winch however so I can do it on both sides...

It's just one of these winches:
Z9EXNc8h.png

Dennis
can I ask what the white tent is on a swivel....my guess is to protect the electrics....?
It's coming along nicley...please take care with that lifting please.....

You'll probably have it up by the time you read this but if you attach a 2x to the side of the post that is taller by a couple feet or so, put a roller on top and the winch lower on the side of the 2x such that the cable/strap runs up over the roller and down to the ridge beam. With it the winching should be easy and you can stop and put a block under the ridge beam as needed and clamp it to the post so you can take the winch and roller to the other end to lift it some on that end. Two winches would make things much easier. You could use two heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps at one end and leave the winch at the other end.
Happy lifting
Pete

Yeah Ialready went and bought a 2nd winch, tomorrow I'll see about getting it done. My plan was very similar to yours, take a 2x4 that is longer than the post and use that to winch it up in the manner you describe, but using two winches at once.

Dennis
can I ask what the white tent is on a swivel....my guess is to protect the electrics....?
It's coming along nicley...please take care with that lifting please.....

Nothing electric, it's a horse fly trap

OK it stopped raining for a while so I got the beam up! No time for taking photos while I was lifting it into place, but here's just after it lifted into place. It worked really well. I also made a groove on the top of the board that I used as a crane, rounded it over, sanded it smooth so the strap could slide easily and not get damaged, and also so the strap could not move sideways and fall off.

4edb2Amh.jpg

02rtMqwh.jpg

Then I used a hammer to nudge it into place and I screwed it in place, then I added some diagonal bracing as well:

wqOuQfph.jpg

bbDQTh1h.jpg

And I got another beam up, almost all the way, just need to get it up the next incline.

req8Byyh.jpg

I didn't lift this one step by step, instead I used the winches again, attached them to the frame and hoisted them up, went quite well, easier than the other method.

I could've sworn I took pictures mid lift but alas seems I got nothing. Only this of the cat getting in the way again

FBRqBEph.jpg

Tomorrow is the end of my vacation, back to work again. That'll slow down progress a lot, as well as sap my energy for this work afterwards, but I got a lot done during this month.

I have a cat that s just like ur's, really nosey....hahaha.....he's the best works cat I've ever had.....under the car or on the bench he's always around.....we found him n sister next to a refuse bin at few days old.....
IMG_6934.jpeg

I am using strap winches, wire might be better but it's what I got.

All this lifting made me wanna make my own block and tackle some day.

I am using strap winches, wire might be better but it's what I got.

All this lifting made me wanna make my own block and tackle some day.
I made one for lifting, using rope and triple pullys. It is missing the ratchet though, essential for what you are doing perhaps?

Yeah a ratchet is required for this work, but in general sense it would be interesting to make some, could come in handy in other situations. Or a ratchet could be a separate device for lifting.

Yeah a ratchet is required for this work, but in general sense it would be interesting to make some, could come in handy in other situations. Or a ratchet could be a separate device for lifting.
(Real) health and safety? Get it wrong and it's your life?
I'd suggest a decent bought ratchet - perhaps attached to the 'tail' of a free (marine equipment) rope and pully system?

I'm talking about making a block and tackle because it would be a fun project to do sometime in the future, for perhaps no real use at all other than it'd be cool.

OK I just got the impression people might be thinking I wanted to make said equipment in order to lift the beams into place for this project. But it has no direct relation to this project, it was just an off the cuff remark. I felt I needed to be clear on that so we didn't start a health and safety derail.

The two winches I got are sufficient to complete the heavy lifting with, the first side beam is in place since last night too. Just one left.

OK things slowed down because I am back at work since last week, I did get the last beam in place however before sunday ended.

Next I made some scaffolding.

GpBeoJxh.jpg

MIxpQYOh.jpg

And after that I put up one side of the rafters.

qdTqhPgh.jpg

I used the scaffolding so I could adjust the rafters, I only nailed them in place with a single nail at the bottom first. Then I used an axe and a chisel to adjust the beams so the rafters all sit evenly across. I used a taught line that I had going above the rafters from edge to edge, that gave me a reference to work from.

60GIBC7h.jpg

c7XR14Kh.jpg

In some places I used "shims" (a bit thick for a shim perhaps) which are also nailed and glued with PU glue. It was better I felt to shim some, or I would have had to lower all the other rafters and they where all sitting evenly and nice already.

gEHf6AHh.jpg

bQNmeQIh.jpg

Back