BT E-Mail Problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Heads up for anyone who is on BT internet, you may not be receiving mails from people with a mail address outside BT.

Thought it was them just blocking my personal mail due to black or grey listing of the shared server IP but it seems pretty general as several of us using differing ISP's are having mail to BT recipients either delayed hrs-days or not even getting through.

Even someone on BT mailing themselves from an alternate mail account is not receiving their own mail at home.

Thats wierd, I use BT as my business E-mail. I sent a message to someone not an hour ago whilst we were on the phone and he opened the attachment there and then so an 8 Meg file took around 40 seconds.

I wonder if it is a local problem, what area are you in (I'm in soggy Southampton)

Regards

James

I'm having a few problems sending.

It occasionally bounces back saying the address does not exist, up until this moment I thought the problem was at the receivers end.

I've been having occasional problems sending mail to people with @btinternet.com email addresses for the past few months. Quite often mail will be "delayed" for anything from 4 hours to a couple of days, when at other times I can send to the same addresses normally.

I wondered if this was caused by something similar to a hotmail email account being "full" bacause the user hadn't recently read/deleted their mail?

tekno.mage

The people on BT as far as I know have no problem sending mail out or to other BT users.

The problems occur when someone on another network try to mail to someone on BT.

I even have a BT employee who is having to communicate with me via google mail because any mail sent to him on his BT account does not receive mail, we have tried several different ISP accounts (I thought at first it was just my server BT was blocking) but even mail from big name ISP's is not getting through.

He can send mail to other BT accounts, but if he mails himself from gmail it does not get through.

A Spam block system to far it would appear.

I only twigged something was wrong when a forum member on BT used the Forum PM system to query why I had not answered his mail.

Funny how BT can send me promotional mail to the e-mail addresses they are blocking.

I have found out today that a btinternet customer checking their mail via web-mail found several "Lost Mails" in the server spam folder.

Unfortunately they had not received any indication that the mails were there via their normal mail client, and can find no way of authenticating the mail in the spam folder to ensure it gets through in future.

Does anyone know how a bt customer can download their spam folder via a normal mail client like outlook to check mails.

No idea if BT is similar but on Virgin there is a setting in the webmail to pass all spam but mark it as spam( [spam] or similar added to the title). Downloading mail normally (outlook) then receives all the spam messages too... which my email program can easily filter into a junk mail folder for a glance at before deleting.

RobertMP":9l9s332w said:
No idea if BT is similar but on Virgin there is a setting in the webmail to pass all spam but mark it as spam( [spam] or similar added to the title). Downloading mail normally (outlook) then receives all the spam messages too... which my email program can easily filter into a junk mail folder for a glance at before deleting.

There is a similar option with BT Yahoo. From the BT Yahoo mail page go to options and then POP and forwarding.

Brittleheart":2yrtygrs said:
There is a similar option with BT Yahoo. From the BT Yahoo mail page go to options and then POP and forwarding.

Anyone know if a similar option is available for plain btinternet.com accounts? or are they routed to the same yahoo page anyway.

If so I'll try and point some contacts to the correct procedure as they can't get mail from other family members not on bt at the moment.

CHJ":2gc4aqco said:
Brittleheart":2gc4aqco said:

Anyone know if a similar option is available for plain btinternet.com accounts? or are they routed to the same yahoo page anyway.

If so I'll try and point some contacts to the correct procedure as they can't get mail from other family members not on bt at the moment.

They all go through BT Yahoo

I have found similar posts from 2 years ago on but it has been causing me intermittent problems since 8th October 2009!

My Domain is hosted by Easily and I just got this in an Email from them:
"I need to advise that there is an ongoing issue with forwarding to BT addresses in so far as BT outsource their mail services to Yahoo who handle all of their emails. Yahoo is having issues with their email services and we have found that any forwarding set to a BT address is not functioning and has not done so for approximately the last month."

"Our technicians have done what they can to try and get around this issue but what they tried has not worked. As this is out of our hands, the only solution we can provide is to set the forwarding to an alternate email address that does not have BT or Yahoo in it. We are unsure of when this will be resolved either. I apologise for any inconvenience caused."

You would have thought that a Company the size of BT/Yahoo would be able to sort this out or to not have had the problem in the first place!

Bit of a workaround and may not be possible but just wondered if you could set up another email account with another ISP, say gmail, and have inbound Bt emails sent there instead (of course there is the slight problem of telling people to use this address instead) and then having a rule in your email client that forwarded the message to a bt account but sent via your btinternet account?

Can you set up forwarding rules on the bt side, another thought?

Have to confess that I left BTInternet years ago for similar reasons.

HKafeman":2ivtlgsc said:
You would have thought that a Company the size of BT/Yahoo would be able to sort this out or to not have had the problem in the first place!

They (Yahoo) would appear to have no intensions of 'sorting it' they block any e-mail that comes from shared servers (I.E. anybody who has space on a non mainstream server and does not pay for a private dedicated IP address) as a means of reducing spam and traffic in general. It not only affects recipients on BT but several other accounts in the USA for instance who have their mail handled by Yahoo.
Yahoo don't even have the courtesy to inform the BT recipients that there is mail not being delivered but placed in a spam box which they can view through a web browser.

All efforts by the operators of the London based servers that I/we use, and they are a major provider of such, are met with a stone wall and the response that their customers need to get dedicated IP addresses, something that involves considerable increase in costs.

Roger, the only way I have been able to regularly keep contact with private individuals who have BT/Yahoo mail is to give them a mail address on my server space so that I can communicate direct without having to change my default accounts.

If it is a company with a BT address then I have to rely on them having a web mail link on their site, use an alternate main stream ISP account I have, or just use the 'phone.

Problem is when you mail from web site link it's not always obvious if their mail address is BT and needs a check on recipients address before sending.

does the BT Yahoo account allow access via IMAP rather than POP.

IMAP will allow access to all of your yahoo account folders from within the client programme. This is how I use many of my accounts with various hosts like googlemail.

Steve

Latest posts

Back