British Hardwoods Sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let anyone local know that British Hardwoods in Keighley are having a sale this Saturday. I went along last year and got some very good bargains. They bundle up packages of wood, which is mostly European oak, but also walnut, cherry, elm and ash. Last year they were also selling off several pallets of cherry for £10 cu.ft + VAT. They normally sell this for £36 cu.ft + VAT... quite a bargain.

Hi Kafkaian,

Any chance of letting me know where this supplier in Bham is based.

Harry

harryc":3jbrd1h1 said:
Hi Kafkaian,

Harry

Yes sure Harry (CHJ is going to upload this to his supplier directly soon as well),

Johnsons Timber Supplies Ltd
591-603 Warwick Road
Tyseley
Birmingham, B11 2EX

Tel 0121 706 0404
Fax 0121 706 1820

Sadly no Internet nor email and supply Sapele, Ash, Beech and Oak by request (need time to look at/organise stock which they hold)

Supplied as rough sawn generally (but not exclusively) in 6" (or wider) planks of various thicknesses up to about 8' long (or longer) but all depending on stock!

Can get other species in on request I believe. Ash is their cheapest and my favourite (need to check EU or American).

Priced per ft³ + VAT thus:

Sapele = £50
Oak = £65
Ash = £45
Beech = £58

So an 8ft plank (6" x 2") of Ash would cost £35.25 inc VAT £30 ex Vat

Hope this helps

All the best

Ian G

Thanks Guy

Next time I pop through East Bham, on my to visit list.

Thanks again

Harry

kafkaian":1eukl4ju said:
harryc":1eukl4ju said:
Hi Kafkaian,

Harry

Yes sure Harry (CHJ is going to upload this to his supplier directly soon as well),

Johnsons Timber Supplies Ltd
591-603 Warwick Road
Tyseley
Birmingham, B11 2EX

Tel 0121 706 0404
Fax 0121 706 1820

Sadly no Internet nor email and supply Sapele, Ash, Beech and Oak by request (need time to look at/organise stock which they hold)

Supplied as rough sawn generally (but not exclusively) in 6" (or wider) planks of various thicknesses up to about 8' long (or longer) but all depending on stock!

Can get other species in on request I believe. Ash is their cheapest and my favourite (need to check EU or American).

Priced per ft³ + VAT thus:

Sapele = £50
Oak = £65
Ash = £45
Beech = £58

So an 8ft plank (6" x 2") of Ash would cost £35.25 inc VAT £30 ex Vat

Hope this helps

All the best

Ian G

Those are pretty steep prices!

Cheers

Tim

Those are pretty steep prices!
It's what happens when you only have one or two suppliers in the UK's second most populous city. Pathetic really!!!! But then if we Brummies are prepared to put up with it.....what do we expect quite frankly!

And I suspect that unless bulk amounts are purchased, for which I don't have the room, then any savings from elsewhere in the country are passed on through delivery charges.

Just been to the british hardwood sale today in yorkshire and picked up approx 4.5 cubic foot of oak (planed up) for £50 inc vat. Came away feeling like I got a good deal, please don't bust my bubble. Would recommend the place, just for the helpfulness of the staff

tsb":1wkpfef2 said:
Just been to the british hardwood sale today in yorkshire and picked up approx 4.5 cubic foot of oak (planed up) for £50 inc vat. Came away feeling like I got a good deal, please don't bust my bubble. Would recommend the place, just for the helpfulness of the staff

No bubble to bust there - thats a good deal! =D> =D>

I agree with you re staff helpfulness although I've not been there in person, only dealt with them on the phone.

Cheers

Tim

It was another good sale. I got 3 cu.ft of Cherry for £35, and 2 cu.ft of chestnut for £18. I was hoping for some Yew, but they didn't have any this year.

I can vouch that Johnsons are the best timber supplier in Birmingham, I used to live there too. That said they still aren't much good, there must be someone better in such a large (albeit unpleasant) city, a niche for anyone thinking of starting a little business perhaps? I keep hearing rumours of a good timber supplier around Lapworth, so far I have only found fence posts, does anyone know of the place?

Aidan

TheTiddles":197b6ucb said:
I can vouch that Johnsons are the best timber supplier in Birmingham, I used to live there too. That said they still aren't much good, there must be someone better in such a large (albeit unpleasant) city
But where? I've been searching for ages and the only other one for hardwood is Davies Timber in Wythal but the prices are equally as steep. Yes, the "niche" word did cross my mind but then some nasty, jealous council officer would probably put a stop to any plans. And whilst phraseology like, such a large (albeit unpleasant) city, is indeed a bitter pill to swallow, the more I learn about Council politics here, the more I understand why such labelling is not only justified, but, sadly, necessary!

Although I live on the southern outskirts of Birmingham, I travel to Good Timber near Northampton whenever I want to buy hardwood. Sadly, the West Midlands is devoid of quality timber merchants, especially for those who don't want to open trade accounts.

Gill

Gill":16851vtk said:
Although I live on the southern outskirts of Birmingham, I travel to Good Timber near Northampton whenever I want to buy hardwood. Sadly, the West Midlands is devoid of quality timber merchants, especially for those who don't want to open trade accounts.

Gill

You'll probably know Davies Timber then? I think I might have to do the same Gill but a 100 mile round trip to Northampton would do my head in.

kafkaian":1dru8rie said:
You'll probably know Davies Timber then?
No - I've never tried them. I'm sure someone's mentioned them before but didn't feel able to recommend them. As a result, I stuck to the supplier I was familiar with. Have you tried Davies Timber? If so, how did you find them?

Gill

Back