Branching out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkEye

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've been feeling a little depressed recently about the direction I'm taking my life. I'm still not earning good money despite all the college work I have put in. It just feels at times like I am going to be an eternal student. A friend of mine who studies economics at University has no problem studying and not working, but I do.

I'm studying a BTEC in Construction at the moment and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It involves all aspects of construction, from foundations to the natural environment. I've made a friend there, that brings my friend count up to (2), which I'm happy about, not fussed about not having loads of superficial relationships as long as I've got a few meaningful ones....

Anyway, he worked previously as a site carpenter before doing the course. I studied Bench Joinery (only recently passed my ACA level 3 in June this year). We've been thinking about doing something involving woodwork like window fitting or providing a service that is in demand in the local area. It seems that the most lucrative workshops in this area are those workshops that make staircases, doors and windows (not necessarily wooden windows - uPVC windows, which require timber framing).

Anyway I've been thinking about trying to find a workshop relatively local to where myself and my mate lives, and paying rent to use it... The problem is I'm not very wordly. I'm 23 at the moment and I've never even had to pay a bill!! So you can get an idea as to how much I know, and how risky it is for a noobie like me just starting out.

We have two days a week when we are not at college, and weekends are usually free. So basically I'm posting here to ask of some advice that people might be willing to share with me concerning this type of thing... Basically I know of places where people advertise workshops like gumtree or whatever, and I would look for a relatively kitted out one, with a chop saw, planer as a bare minimum.... It seems relatively straight forward once I find a place, work out how much it will cost each month + all the extras... Its just the whole aspect of making it pay, and getting a good return whilst at the same time selling good quality products...

So anyway... its all a dream at the moment. What are your opinions on this? P.S Not a great time I know given the current economic climate... The thing is there's a limit to what can go wrong if you just rent out a workshop right?? Its not as if I'm investing thousands into a start up company that could make or break me :lol: .

Latest posts

Back