Brad/nail/pin air gun???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, i know this is going to make me seem very dence but here i go anyway.

I want to buy a air gun as i have a few jobs coming up it will be very useful for. Although i have used a few over the year, i have never owned, and never really known what the difference between them all are.

I will be buying a compressor, so it dosent need to be one with the on board gas etc, or electric (as from what i can tell they arnt very good anyway) and im pretty settled on getting a bostitch because i have heard good things about them

HOWEVER... I have no idea what the difference between them all is. Some are called nailers, other staplers, some pinners etc etc. I want it to be able to drive a 'something' about 30mm (or potentially a little more) so i can use it for jigs etc as well as attaching back panels. Im sure there will aslo be times i would like to use it to cheat and attach beadings on fitting, so it would be good they were as invisible as possible.

So do i want a nailer, a pinner, or staples. Or none of the above?

Thanks

I have 2 - an el-cheapo courtesy of Aldi and it does fine driving upto 50mm brads. I also have a Rockworth (which must a be better, even if a little).

I have used el-cheapo and it's fine, but very little in the way of adjustment. The Rockworth (which I haven't used yet) on the other hand does have adjustment - as to how much or little it punches the brad below the surface.

I paid very little for both - the Rockworth was 2nd hand. Although I have seen the new Stanley Bostich and they are nice. Best thing is to try one out somewhere.

From what you say - i.e. fitting beading, backs - you want one that fires brads. Not one that fires what I would normally refer to as nails.

HIH

Thanks dibs

Ive done a bit more looking around and from what i can tell a brad gun seems ideal for things like putting backs on and jigs

And a headless nailer/pinner for attaching beads etc (which i assume would be no good for back)

Ive also noticed the headless pinner guns seem to be a lot smaller than the brad guns. I suppose that makes sense tho.

Another question (sorry :oops: ) do different guns need different pressures from the compressor? Is that something i need to be looking at too?

L Harding":igebr1tf said:
Thanks dibs

Ive done a bit more looking around and from what i can tell a brad gun seems ideal for things like putting backs on and jigs

And a headless nailer/pinner for attaching beads etc (which i assume would be no good for back)

Ive also noticed the headless pinner guns seem to be a lot smaller than the brad guns. I suppose that makes sense tho.

Another question (sorry :oops: ) do different guns need different pressures from the compressor? Is that something i need to be looking at too?

To be honest I should know better, but being a lazy @rse - didn't check when last using the gun. I would suspect the types of gun you are looking at would have a fairly wide range - so you'd probably could get away with 1 setting for both guns. Would just be worth noting what the operating pressure should be for each gun you are looking at. I have a small very portable compressor that doesn't have any issues driving a brad gun - so your requirements wouldn't complicate matters.

I run a bostitch 18g brad nailer and a 23g headless pinner off a small Stanley compressor.

If you want to start firing bigger fixings you will need a bigger compressor with more airflow. But from what you describe then a small compressor will be fine.

HTH

Cheers

Karl

Karl":cf9l885m said:
I run a bostitch 18g brad nailer and a 23g headless pinner off a small Stanley compressor.

If you want to start firing bigger fixings you will need a bigger compressor with more airflow. But from what you describe then a small compressor will be fine.

HTH

Cheers

Karl

what size compressor do you use? ive been looking at 6litre units that are easy to carry around on site, are they anygood for 18g

speed":2hw0wged said:
Karl":2hw0wged said:

HTH

Cheers

Karl

what size compressor do you use? ive been looking at 6litre units that are easy to carry around on site, are they anygood for 18g

I got one of these ages ago (cheap Fleebay purchase),

http://www.poppers-senco.co.uk/products ... 85?pid=150

and it doesn't have any probs - it's a 3L one as well.

speed":n43zv9mc said:
Karl":n43zv9mc said:

HTH

Cheers

Karl

Yes, mine is a Stanley 6 litre compressor. Never had a problem with brads or staples.

Cheers

Karl

thanks for the links guys, both look nice compact units, i need 110v tho :cry:
ive seen makita 6l at itslondon.

axminster white guns ok everyone?

Dibs-h":3ckvj6gr said:
speed":3ckvj6gr said:
thanks for the links guys, both look nice compact units, i need 110v tho :cry:
ive seen makita 6l at itslondon.

axminster white guns ok everyone?

It also comes in 110v - http://www.poppers-senco.co.uk/products ... 85?pid=152

Although some of the newer Stanley units do look nice. Always worth a look on Fleebay.

What do you run off that Dibs ?

I could do with a 110v small compressor I was looking at the other senco with twin tanks. the one I have now is the big Stanley bostitch one on wheels and its a pain when you are just bradding but I do own a few bigger guns like a masonry nailer dont know if they would work very well on a small one.

ive read all the posts i can find on the subject on here, and now feel a little closer to knowing what i want. still not really there tho :?

I know i want a 18g brad gun, maybe the bostitch, but its a lot more than say the axminster one that a lot of people seem to think is more than good enough.

Im more lost when it comes to compressors tho. There seems to be thousands, and apart from the obvious capacity and general size, i dont really know what all the differences are.
If i only plan to use it for nail guns etc, and to blow stuff down every so often, not sanding or spraying is 6ltr enough? And do i want oil free or oil lubricated?

Karl - i like the look of the little stanley compressor you linked to, but is it a little DIY?

chippy1970":eav3ajlb said:
What do you run off that Dibs ?

I could do with a 110v small compressor I was looking at the other senco with twin tanks. the one I have now is the big Stanley bostitch one on wheels and its a pain when you are just bradding but I do own a few bigger guns like a masonry nailer dont know if they would work very well on a small one.

Mixture of nail guns (brads - used 38mm ones, have some 50mm which I haven't tried yet), car tyres, air gun to blow stuff off (which isn't awesome but does ok). You can't really run any tools or spray guns - but for brads, etc. perfect and it was relatively cheap and saves me the headache of wheeling one around.

L Harding":oiznyhou said:
ive read all the posts i can find on the subject on here, and now feel a little closer to knowing what i want. still not really there tho :?

I know i want a 18g brad gun, maybe the bostitch, but its a lot more than say the axminster one that a lot of people seem to think is more than good enough.

Im more lost when it comes to compressors tho. There seems to be thousands, and apart from the obvious capacity and general size, i dont really know what all the differences are.
If i only plan to use it for nail guns etc, and to blow stuff down every so often, not sanding or spraying is 6ltr enough? And do i want oil free or oil lubricated?

Karl - i like the look of the little stanley compressor you linked to, but is it a little DIY?

6l should be fine for nails, if its just for the workshop tho id look at atleased 25l tank then you have the option to maybe use other tools and it will not cycle as much
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21377.htm

that would be fine, machine mart do a wide range of compressors even a quite range.

im not too sure about oil or not, i have a oil one and just needs a drop from time to time, never used a oil free so cant comment

I have used all sorts of guns and compressors. Enough that i don't do the guessing any more.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57750/Power-Tools/Compressors/Makita-AC1300-2-20ltr-2hp-Air-Compressor

They make a smaller unit in the USA that is 2 horse power that is 110 that will blow the water out of any small portable unit. Senco were good at one time so were Hitachi but i find that those companies are not existing on quality any more but the name they built from the quality tools they once made.

As far as guns Makita, dewalt, Milwaukee, are all good guns. a squirt if oil a day and they will work fine. I would not get any gun that is relabeled unless you only use the gun a little bit for light work.

If anyone can point me in the direction of flexible hoses that do not go hard in the cold and fittings that don't leak at all i'd be grateful.

Back