Bosch GMF1600 not working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bojam

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

My Bosch GMF1600 has been playing up over the last few days. Intermittently refusing to start or, more recently, stopping mid cut. Until today I've been able to get it going again by blowing and wiping the contact strip and the vents on the motor unit to clear any dust/debris. Now it just won't start at all. It's less than 2 years old, is used regularly but not daily and is rarely used for prolonged periods or particularly demanding tasks. I do use it under the table as well as for handheld plunge routing. I use dust extraction when plunge routing and have a decent extraction system through the fence on the table. But worried that it might have been exposed to too much dust when cutting slots and dados on the table (when the waste is falling directly through the hole in the plate - no extraction under the table!).

The LED light still works when plugged in so the unit is receiving power. Any suggestions on what might be up and whether I can attempt a fix myself or need to take it to a repair centre. Bought in the UK so doubt the warranty is valid here so I'll have to pay someone to fix it if I can't sort it myself. I have no training and very little experience with electronics so wary of making the situation worse. But if anyone has any ideas for possible simple fixes then I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Update: seem to have fixed it (for now).

Took apart the handle to access the switch mechanism and blew out any dust there, as this is a known issue. Didn't resolve the problem. So removed the motor housing (the top cover) and examined the wiring looking for loose connections. Identified the switch cable (two wires held together in a sheath) and re-fixed these as they had come loose from a plastic clip designed to securely hold them in place. Jiggled the connection gently. Re-clipped another two cables that were also not properly fixed. Blew out accumulated dust and then securely refastened the housing. Voila. Turned it on and the motor started at the first time of asking. Is now running without a glitch. Not tried it under load though yet so will see if it behaves itself in the morning.

Apparently the GOF1600 (MRC23EVSK as it's known in the US) is prone to these problems. My concern now is whether the fix is good when the machine is put to use and particularly when mounted in the table (i.e. will the cables stay in place when the unit is turned upside down?). And for how long can I expect it to last before this issue reoccurs.

Anyone else had similar problems with this router here? And, if so, have you been able to resolve them permanently? I'm loathe to buy another router as I bought this one for its dual function (two bases with an easily interchangeable motor) and the fact that it is compatible with the Bosch tracks that I use with the plunge saw.

Also, does anyone have advice on how to extract well from beneath the table? My setup is a Ron Paulk style torsion box workbench (1800mm x 960mm). The router hangs under a plate mounted into the top sheet of ply (18mm). There are ply supports on all four sides that form an enclosure slightly bigger than the plate. But the bottom sheet of the torsion box is cut open to accomodate the router and provide access. I could fully enclose this space by extending a frame down to below the motor and adding a bottom panel. I realise I would need to ensure adequate air flow into the enclosure and balance this with the air flow out. The extractor I use is a Numatic NVD750 with a 100mm flexi hose - I do have a 100 to ~63 reducer if required. Is there any guidance on how to effectively balance air intake/outtake?

Would something like this work and would it help to ensure that the motor unit is not subjected to dust accumulation when routing the faces of boards? The main problem I think is that I need to be able to access the motor unit to switch it on/off and remove it when doing cutter changes or transferring it to the plunge base. So the bottom would need to be easy to open and not prevent quick access to the motor.

Appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Without pictures it's hard to know the exact arrangement of the wiring but one way to secure wires and protect the terminals is to encase them in hot melt glue. The glue is not mechanically very strong (usually - depends on the grade of glue used) so can be removed if necessary but holds everything in place in normal use.
Duncan

Back