Bore on. Painting MDF Skirting.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Got to replace all the knackered cupped pine skirtings in the newly plastered front room. I'm looking mdf, do I need to prime? That's the main question tbhI was thinking, 2 coats undercoat, scribing i can manage, gloss to finish. Screw and plug. Sound ok? Short and sweet. All advice welcome as always.

Many thanks Haggis, I've seen it. I'll cost it up. Question stands though, does mdf benefit from priming? Just from interest.

Wickes do preprimed too.

You do need to prime because of course if it gets wet....bad news.

I've used that pre-primed stuff extensively and really like it. Very very easy to use compared to natural wood and you don't need to plug and screw if the wall its being fixed to is true enough. A builders adhesive and 16 gauge nails will often do.

Use satin paint. No undercoat required, no risk of yellowing- happy days

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I use a water based primer/ undercoat on MDF architrave & skirt kills two birds with one stone, then top coat with the customers choice of finish.

I definitely recommend preprimed. Over the last couple of years have had to do a customers house and they had bought raw mdf. There is no primer available here so used watered down latex and PVA mixed into it. If you can get it use Zinser to prime then 2 or 3 coats gloss. The curved bits of the skirting will tend to fluff up and then sanded but I had to work with the materials available here.

Also as Bob said a good builders adhesive, I used a few heavy concrete blocks to push the board against the wall where it was a bit curvy. I just mitred the corners then used good elastic filler to hide any gaps.

Danny

Latest posts

Back