books for a new turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bussy

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
New to turning, and was wondering if anybody could recommend any good books, seem to remember seeing a thread recommending books but can't find, so sorry if i'm repeating a recent thread.

Marty

keith rowley- a foundation course is excellent, and I would say a must have.

Thanks Marcros
That's what i call a quick reply, just seen that book on amazon, will order now and get it tomorrow, so impatient.

Marty

Yes, hate having to wait for stuff once i've made my mind up, however do feel guilty making people working on Sundays when they should be with their families.
Marty

Marty, another good one, also available on Amazon (£8.34), is the Two-in-One Manual by Phil Irons. It also gives tools, techniques and 'how-to' projects.

Dave

bussy":40btdec5 said:
Yes, hate having to wait for stuff once i've made my mind up, however do feel guilty making people working on Sundays when they should be with their families.
Marty

So I imagine on a sunday you don't travel by bus, trains or taxis? go to pubs, restaurants, cinemas, shops ... turn on taps, lights? ... go to A&Es ...? :? :lol:

Hi Dave
Thanks for the recommendation will look that one up tomorrow.

Marty

Hiatay of phil
Yes guilty of all you mention, but people that work in those professions know that weekend working is a proviso of the job, do we really need someone to work on a Sunday just because i want a book the next day, would it really make any difference if i had to wait an extra day or two. As i work 5 days a week deliveries are difficult, in the past i could have deliveries to my works depot but now thats been closed down it's no longer viable. Actually as i type this i feel more hypocritical by doing the thing that really bugs me.

Marty

Following recommendations on here I picked up the "foundation course" book for about £3 inc postage from waterstones marketplace, good source of cheap secondhand stuff!

Hello Marty,

I have been turning now for nearly 3 years and have picked up quite a few books along the way, + 1 for Keith Rowleys book and Turning wood by Richard Raffan.

The book that I have got most out of though is probably one of the oldest and the one that I go to first - The Practical Wood Turner by F Pain.

These can be picked up on the bay from £2.50 - £10 and imho well worth it.
F Pain (2).JPG

Merlin

Attachments

• F Pain (2).JPG
    F Pain (2).JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,020
Hi Merlin
Thanks for the recommendations, I will look them up tonight.

Marty

Hi Duncan
I will be going to the meeting on Friday, and do intend on joining.
Marty

Back