Blue roll holder ideas.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to make a blue roll holder to attach to a shelf I made previously for my garage , does anyone have any ideas or details of what they have seen before for me to base ideas on?

I have attached the photo of area and the shelf to attach the holder.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I ummed and aahed over this for ages - I use the blue roll centrefeed fashion. I am getting through tons of it on a big window refurb project.

I thought this arrangement was good:
Centrefeed Blue Roll Stand Paper Towel Tissue Holder - Wall Mounted Dispenser - Portable Industrial Paper Storage Shelf for Workshop, Kitchen, Toilet, Restaurant (Blue, W185xD190cm) https://amzn.eu/d/aSLjZht

In the end I went for this:
CENTREFEED centerfeed + 6 Rolls Paper Centre Pull Feed Dispenser White Wall Mounted Lockable ABS Plastic https://amzn.eu/d/dTYugdU

And this
Grab 'n' Clean Dispenser Kit. Roll Dispenser & 1 Blue Roll. Water Resistant Centrefeed Dispenser For Blue Roll, Hygiene Paper Towels. Portable Refillable Cleaning Cloth Holder. https://amzn.eu/d/834nO1T

Both have proved very satisfying compared to a loose roll. Little things…

Cheers

I need to make one and intend to base it on a design we had at a workplace a few years back which worked well…..
IIRC it comprised two ‘cheeks’ mounted on a base, one at each end of the roll with a hole drilled through just big enough a length of dowel (or broom handle) which was fitted through the roll. There were grooves cut round the circumference of the dowel near the ends, wide enough so the dowel dropped into the cheeks and deep enough to keep it in position laterally.

I use a small piece of broom handle just longer than the roll with a hole in eack end with a small length of thinesh cord with hoops in and have 2 hooks screwed to the underside of the shelf
I made one in about 10 minutes, 30 odd years ago. U shaped bracket butt jointed with screws just wider than a roll with two holes to hold a bit of broom handle. About 10 years ago I had to make a replacement as the widths of the rolls had changed and I had used up the ridiculously large bulk buy I made many years ago. This one is the same design but with a deeper and narrower U. The workmanship is appalling and looks like it was chewed to size by a beaver who had lost his glasses. I must get around to trimming the broom handle to the right length at some point.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I would like to make a blue roll holder to attach to a shelf I made previously for my garage , does anyone have any ideas or details of what they have seen before for me to base ideas on?

I have attached the photo of area and the shelf to attach the holder.

Thanks for your help.
I used a spare london pat shelf bracket with a piece of 20mm conduit siliconed on top to assist rolling.

Attachments

• BILD0009.JPG
    BILD0009.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BILD0010.JPG
    BILD0010.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BILD0012.JPG
    BILD0012.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Some OSB scraps, a length of M8 (or larger) studding and a couple of nuts. Simple. [Pic is the bicycle repair/servicing side of my workshop but blue roll is in easy reach of the woodwork side]
bike-tools2.jpg

Picked up a blue roll from Howdens yesterday for a pound, being a Yorkshireman it made my day 😂.

Never had a blue roll holder so thought I better make one, fear of missing out and all that.

Made it dual purpose, it's also somewhere to stand my coffee.

blue roll 1.jpg

blue roll 2.jpg

Picked up a blue roll from Howdens yesterday for a pound, being a Yorkshireman it made my day 😂.

Never had a blue roll holder so thought I better make one, fear of missing out and all that.

Made it dual purpose, it's also somewhere to stand my coffee.

View attachment 165002

View attachment 165003
I like the lid! Never thought of that - I might do that for myself. My existing holder is a real mash up!

Attachments

• IMG_3520.jpeg
    IMG_3520.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3519.jpeg
    IMG_3519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a centre pull plastic mounted unit ex white paper hand towel dispenser from work some years ago when they changed the hand towel paper dispensers in the washrooms - its been great other than the time when an over vigorous pull pulled the unit on the floor - but whats a few minor cracks in the plastic cover!

I have mine on a vertical shaft to make it easier to use one handed. Pull straight out from the shaft until you have what you need then tear downwards and get on with your life.

Thanks all for your great ideas and inspiration, I have made the roll holder from some offcuts and works well.

Thanks again.

My wife is short, I cut about 14" off her broom, drilled a hole in each end, used some of her garden twine and a couple of nails into a shelf. Job's a good un.

Back