Block planes ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what Phil Lowe has to say about block planes in the latest Fine Woodworking e-letter, question and answer piece. I must say I totally disagree with his opinion and find the block a must for a lot of cabinet work. I don't know where he gets this idea from :shock:

Q: I've heard stories about you referring to block planes as a carpenter's (and not a furniture maker's) tool. Really? Why are they carpenter's tools?

A: The block plane is designed to be held in one hand, allowing a carpenter to make trim cuts while hanging from a ladder or while perched on top of staging. The work is usually braced against the side of the building, a ladder, or some part of the staging while being held by one hand. That leaves just one hand to hold the block plane. Cabinetmakers or furniture makers work at a bench with a vice, which holds the work. So, they have two hands to hold a plane.

What's members opinions ?

I'd say exactly the same. It's an extremely useful one handed plane.
Often used for the edge of a board which you are holding down on a saw stool with a knee and your other hand.
The whole reason for the low angle is to make an easy to handle one-hander. There is no other point to it as the effective planing angle is much the same as a normal plane, but it has led to the idea that it is somehow suitable for end grain. No more so than any other plane really, except taking off the ends of tenons may also be one handed job particularly if you are away from the bench

I find that my small Stanley block plane is ideal for trimming end grain on small pieces when the need arises.
It only get's used occasionally but when I need it I find it an extremely useful tool to have.

A strange answer. Why carpenters? I dont agree at all. Tools are for using regardles of splitting trades. Boatbuilders probably used them. I can recall as a raw youth watching cabinet makers working one handed with 4 1/2 planes to put an ariss on haffits and that sort of thing on site. Was very impressed and can do it myself. Up here carpenters and joiners were the same trade when I was young. Same with so called 'country' cabinet makers so all their tools were intermixed, be they doing joinery, coffin making, wndow making, crib, lecturn, etc. It is modern 'thing' to be so well informed and wrong...in my opinion. One handed working is a great asset along with speed and accuracy. Best wishes to you all.

twothumbs":23vb8j87 said:
A strange answer. Why carpenters? I dont agree at all. Tools are for using regardles of splitting trades. Boatbuilders probably used them. .....
I suppose he meant any woodworker not at a bench. Majority of these would be carpenters and joiners but there are many others including boatbuilders.
With a bench and/or other suitable support planing is two handed - without ditto it might be only possible one handed.

Kind of pointless really. The tool is for one handed work wherever you find the need and there is wood to be planned. Does not matter if you are a carpenter, joiner or cabinet maker, up a ladder or standing on one leg.

It is clear that Phil Lowe considers one-handed woodworking as lacking the type of control for making fine furniture, and then makes the leap that block planes, as they can be used one-handed, must only be good enough for carpenters - who only do rough-and-ready work. This is rather arrogant, if not completely inaccurate. The trouble is, in the USA he is considered a God, and many will simply accept this statement as gospel.

Actually, there are times when working one-handed is a boon - such as chamfering an edge of a board. By-and-large, nevertheless, I use a block plane two-handed.

Jacob, you wrote, "There is no other point to it as the effective planing angle is much the same as a normal plane, but it has led to the idea that it is somehow suitable for end grain. No more so than any other plane really, except taking off the ends of tenons may also be one handed job particularly if you are away from the bench".

I think that you are referring to a standard angle block plane - 20 degree bed and 25 degree bevel creates a common cutting angle. However there are also low angle block planes, with a 12 degree bed. They really do leave a smoother surface on end grain.

Regarding "taking the ends of tenons", you will have to say more as I am in the dark there.

I would argue that block planes are a relatively modern invention as needed cast iron to have any semblance of reliability. Wood is not strong enough if they are made bevel up (i.e. a low bed is too thin), and honing methods were not accurate enough for using them bevel down (i.e. the clearance angle might disappear). Some feel that unless a tool was invented and used 200 years ago it has no place in a workshop. It is evident by their popularity, that many woodworkers find the block plane a useful tool.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think a block plane is one of those tools you either like and use a lot, or don't get on with. For some reason, I'm in the latter camp. I have a Lie-Nielsen low-angle block, which is a very nicely made plane, but I find it a bit too heavy for dextrous single-handed use.

Many years ago, when I first started molesting innocent bits of wood, one of the first tools I bought secondhand was a Preston bullnose shoulder plane. This fits my hand beautifully, holds a lovely sharp edge, and is my 'go-to' trimming and fettling plane. I know it's the 'wrong' plane for such duties, but it just works for me, for some reason.

... Phil Lowe c......in the USA he is considered a God......
Never heard of him myself. I agree with him on the one-handed use of the block plane but yes many other trades may use them.
Actually, there are times when working one-handed is a boon - such as chamfering an edge of a board. By-and-large, nevertheless, I use a block plane two-handed.
It's designed for one hand. If you can use two you might as well step up to a 3 or above.
........ ....Regarding "taking the ends of tenons", you will have to say more as I am in the dark there
.Most trad joinery involves frames with through M&Ts. The block plane is ideal for trimming the protruding ends of the through tenons after sawing them off after glue up.
...... It is evident by their popularity, that many woodworkers find the block plane a useful tool....
Certainly do! Stanley 220 was my second purchase (after a 5 1/2) and has been used a great deal I'm on to blade 3 I think.
I think a block plane is one of those tools you either like and use a lot, or don't get on with. For some reason, I'm in the latter camp. I have a Lie-Nielsen low-angle block, which is a very nicely made plane, but I find it a bit too heavy for dextrous single-handed use.
Yes they need to be light. A heavy block plane misses the point.

At first you should understand that making a post after Derek Cohen's post for me as for UK citizens to take a breakfast with a Queen!
I'm from exUSSR, Ukraine and the main reason in using block planes is the different names of profession.
Probably it will be hard understand me but below are my opinions:
1) There are two or more languages - English and American
2) Here in exUSSR exist only 2 profession
2.1 joiner=carpenter - man who make common woodworking works - in Russian столяр
2.2 cabinetmaker (words - cabinet - (armoire in french) and maker - person who make cabinets) in Russian - краснодеревщик - person who work with precisious woods or make a beautiful things - real pieces of arts.

Probably there exists some misinunderstanding in the means of words 'carpenter' 'cabinetmaker' 'joiner' in the English speaking countries too?

Regards,
Snikolaev

Working at a bench, I almost invariably use two hands on my low angle blockplane, which I find a very convenient for end grain bevelling or small endgrain trimming.

Small long grain surfaces are better done with the standard angle blockplane.

David

Derek wrote:
"I would argue that block planes are a relatively modern invention as needed cast iron to have any semblance of reliability. Wood is not strong enough if they are made bevel up "

Dinosaurs + evolution = birds (is to) small, hand made mitre planes + Stanley = block planes.

I submit the above equation for examination as it is wot I reckon.

I think you both use a block plane in a way which is not intended. No reason why you shouldn't of course.
They are designed as a one-handers - hence the various forms of bulge in place of handle and the absence of a knob. Some of them don't even have much in the way of front finger rest.

stanley-102-block-plane.jpg
Richard T":1e2kbmn0 said:
Derek wrote:
"I would argue that block planes are a relatively modern invention as needed cast iron to have any semblance of reliability. Wood is not strong enough if they are made bevel up "

Dinosaurs + evolution = birds (is to) small, hand made mitre planes + Stanley = block planes.

I submit the above equation for examination as it is wot I reckon.
Er, hmm, dunno.

Hi Jacob

Can be used one-handed does not necessitate must be used one-handed.

In any event, some block planes are designed so that they may be used one-handed (such as a LN 102) ..

102103.jpg

... but others are not (such as a LN/LV skew block plane or a LN/LV LA Smoother).

The Stanley/LN #60 1/2 has a knob that may be grasped -probably because they expected someone to grasp it!

60_5_lg.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

The Stanley/LN #60 1/2 has a knob that may be grasped -probably because they expected someone to grasp it!

60_5_lg.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
I think you are expected to put a finger on it hence it is generally known as a finger rest. It's a bit small to grasp. But grasp if you want to - don't let me put you off!

It's often good to use tools in different ways. I have found myself pulling a bailey plane towards me and grasping different areas to get the desired result. For accurate trimming two hands on a block plane seems completely appropriate. I must confess I don't even think too much about how I grasp any tools, just becomes like riding a bike, if I start to think about stuff it usually makes it worse.

Well I use my block planes on the bench two handed, on end grain and along the grain on small bits of timber, where a no 4 or 3 would be too big. I just think its a bit bolshie to put such a hard and fast rule down as though your god and nearly all of my block planes have a front knob. not a finger rest and I'm sure they didn't put it there for decoration.

My block plane lives in my apron pocket most of the day, I use it for a whole multitude if tasks, from end grain work to chamfering edges, even smoothing components if they are too small or narrow to make another plane stable.

The reason I think they excell with end grain, for me at least, is the adjustable mouth, you can close it right up to allow only the finest of shavings though, which limits tear out and chatter.

I think this American bloke is another example of a lot or the more respected wood workers around the world, who seams to of been put on a pedestal by his peers and now thinks he can make sweeping statements, which should be adhered to as if he was god. It's not something that all Americans share though, Chris Shwartz write about how he really wanted to hate the block plane but soon found he didn't like being without it.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Back