Block Planes on Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know from previous posts, I have recently bought a couple of planes through Ebay. I have managed to get a Record No. 5 and a Stanley No. 4 1/2, both old but in reasonably good condition, for not a lot of money. I thought it would be a simple matter to pick up a half decent block plane in the same way. I've been looking at older Stanley and Record 9 1/2 and 60 1/2 planes but they regularly go for upwards of £30. I'm sure most of the buyers will be intending to use these planes rather than have them as collectors pieces...these are not rare or unusual planes. What are these buyers thinking? Assuming that you might need a new blade, the cost is now up to £50 or more. This is getting close to the price of a new Veritas or one of the little Lie-Nielsen planes (102/103). I know this has all been gone over in numerous threads recently and people are probably fed up discussing it but I can't make up my mind which way to go. Ideally I'd like the cheapest option but £50 for an old Stanley plane ain't cheap. Anybody out there care to share an opinion yet again?

cheers

George

Hi George,

I've used a Stanley 60 1/2 and a Record 09 1/2 since the 1970s. They are OKish but could be a lot better. Since buying a Clifton no. 7 and no. 4 1/2 and seeing how much better a heavier plane is, I want to go for a much heavier and precision-made block plane rather than mess about with better blades for the ones I have.

Personally, I am hoping Clifton will soon be producing their block plane. Saw the prototype at last year's Ally Pally show - it's a little gem. It wasn't at this year's show but I took the opportunity to have another moan at Alan Reid.

Anyone who feels like me, keep lobbying Clifton like I do - the power of the people and all that :)

Paul

Secondhand block planes in this country are thin on the ground, thus pricy. Good new ones are available for not unreasonable amounts of money (think of the Veritas apron with HCS blade - practically giving it away. Well not really, but not out of reach at any rate. Nice plane too). What a 'Murrican friends call a "no brainer" IMO.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Apron-type plane to which you refer, while being an excellent plane, doesn't have an adjustable mouth which, in my view, limits its usefulness.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1wwt4th1 said:
Alf, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Apron-type plane to which you refer, while being an excellent plane, doesn't have an adjustable mouth which, in my view, limits its usefulness.
Yeah, I used to think like that too. In reality, unless you plan to be using it as a mini smoother, the fixed mouth really isn't a problem. I reach for the fixed mouth LN 100 times more often than the adjustable mouth one and I'm not alone.

Sheesh, I'm talking myself into buying one here, 'cos my LN is the standard angle one and I could really justify a low angle one as well, couldn't I...? #-o

Cheers, Alf

Thanks, Alf, that's interesting. As always, the proof of the usefulness is in how often you use it.

For me, I would always go for an adjustable mouth option if available. I've made extensive use of the adjustable mouth feature on my block planes. As for bench planes, I seldom varied the mouths of my Records because to do so was such a palava. However, since buying the Clifton no.7 and no. 4 1/2 with their bedrock style frog, I frequently adjust the mouths to suit what I am doing. Having used one and experienced its usefulness, I would now see a bedrock-style frog as a key feature of a bench plane.

Once again, what works for you....... :wink:

Paul

Alf":2cep812q said:
Yeah, I used to think like that too. In reality, unless you plan to be using it as a mini smoother, the fixed mouth really isn't a problem. I reach for the fixed mouth LN 100 times more often than the adjustable mouth one and I'm not alone.

Sheesh, I'm talking myself into buying one here, 'cos my LN is the standard angle one and I could really justify a low angle one as well, couldn't I...? #-o

Cheers, Alf

The LN 102 low angle in ductile iron is "only" £56 from Axminster (the bronze ones are more expensive at £71). Would a low angle plane be a good bet as a general purpose block plane?

George

George,

For what it's worth my experience has been as follows. I originally bought a low angle block plane (Stanley 60 1/2) back in the seventies primarily to trim Formica. I used to keep one blade for this work honed at a steep angle so as to have more metal behind the edge. I kept another blade honed at a normal angle for other work. Eventually I bought another block plane (standard angle Record 09 1/2) to save having to keep swapping the blades over.

Nowadays, I don't use Formica and use the planes for wood only. Invariably I reach for the low angle plane and if I could have only one I would go for the low angle every time. It will do everything the standard angle plane will do and seems (for me at least) to do it better.

Incidentally, you can buy a lot of fancy, expensive router cutters these days for trimming Formica-type laminates, but I still think a sharp block plane is the best tool for this job. Very controllable and a lot cheaper.

Hope this is of some help :)

Paul

I managed to purchase a no18 knuckle cap block plane from the bay some weeks ago, although it isnt low angle. I always seem to pick it up in preference to my other block planes!
Does anyone here have the LN iron block plane here?

Cheers
Matt

Hi all

I have the LN rebate block plane with the ductile iron body. The blade sits at 12 degrees but it doesn't have an adjustable mouth. It is, quite simply, a gem. Not only will it do all the general block plane work but it can trim rebates and even act as a mini shoulder plane if you're careful.

Regards.

Back