Blinking Rutlands again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oryxdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in July I ordered a set of drill bits from Rutlands. They didn't come so I spoke to customer service and cancelled the order as I couldn't wait the couple of months they were expecting them to be on back order.

Today I received the standard email telling me they were being dispatched by Parcelforce today!

I rang customer services and they told me I should just refuse the parcel and they would refund me when they received it back.

Now lets be quite clear the item has not left Rutlands yet and my credit card has not been charged but they will not stop the order and they will charge me.

If the parcel gets delivered to one of the other firms on the estate they say I will have to arrange to get it back to them for a refund.

Arggggggg...... (hammer) (hammer)

Can you speak to your credit card provider to block the transaction?

Doesn't fill me with confidence for the order I've just placed, I'm a Rutland virgin :(

another thing, are they allowed to keep your card details on file for that long? I know there have been other discussions on this topic but can't remember the finer points

I've spoken to them and asked them to block it, unfortunately they can't. Hopefully your order will be quicker than 6 months!

Lately I only order from them if I can't buy it anywhere else

Shane":1j26pdm0 said:
another thing, are they allowed to keep your card details on file for that long? I know there have been other discussions on this topic but can't remember the finer points

I don't know about that, I suspect there is some way of putting a deferred transaction through.

Oryxdesign":u138chsz said:
Hopefully your order will be quicker than 6 months!

They will be sick of the sound of my voice if they give me too much trouble :lol:

You are covered by the distance selling regs.

As far as I know it is not for you to chase the goods. You have a right to ask for a refund and it is the supplier who has to arrange recovery. These regs are very much on the side of the purchaser.

Mick

Yeah but I've had some wonderful deals from rutlands this year so I still like them.

quangsheng planes, worksharp, good quality clamps - all been big savings. 8)

Taking advantage of the 10% discount and free postage. I have ordered 3 Tormek items from Rutlands. 2 out of 3 are out of stock. I will wait.

Mike Wingate":jo0bezsw said:
Taking advantage of the 10% discount and free postage. I have ordered 3 Tormek items from Rutlands. 2 out of 3 are out of stock. I will wait.

Do you still get the discount and free posting on out of stock items? That would make their trend routers a pretty reasonable buy.

I had a so-so experience with Rutlands. Very slow delivery - but it was snowy. Item arrived slightly damaged with a part missing. They were very nice, but never offered me the compensation I requested. Ended up mending the broken component myself and finding a screw that would do in place of the missing one.

They don't seem to get what a contract to deliver something as described means. By comparison to Axminster, I found the Rutlands service a bit amateur. But I got a good product for a reasonable price, so I'm not boycotting them.

ATB

Steve

I suspect they'll charge vat at the prevailing rate at the date of invoice. Otherwise they'll be liable for the extra tax.

I hope they honour their current prices.

Cheers
Steve

Well I can't complain at all, my order turned up this morning, I placed the order on the 23rd, so they couldn't have done anymore 8)

At least I have 7 really sharp Victorinox kitchen knives. Nice knife jig and the Victorinox only have 1 ground edge. It will be a joy to sharpen double edged knives with the jig.

I ordered a (very nice!) Quangsheng block plane for my father in law months ago and it turned up on christmas eve. I was only charged the rate as when the order was processed and they honoured the 10% discount, can't say much farer than that.

MickCheese":1jzipuo5 said:
You are covered by the distance selling regs.

As far as I know it is not for you to chase the goods. You have a right to ask for a refund and it is the supplier who has to arrange recovery. These regs are very much on the side of the purchaser.

Mick

I think they are only relevant to retail transactions - so if the CC is in the company name, there might not be any protection.

Not 100% - must look into it when I've got a moment.

Aled - Rutlands, not doubt at some point you'll want an invite to the (secret) "I Really Love Rutlands" sub-forum, believe me! :wink:

Dibs

p.s. Shane - Rutlands, don't do it!! :lol: :lol:

thing is any retailer can wander about fat dumb and happy when everything is going well - what sets people like matthew and axminster apart from people like rutlands (and lyndhurst) is what they do when the order goes **** up

ive occasionaly had goods arrive damaged from axminster - but the issue was sorted with one phone call and the items were swapped within 24 hours - when i had a damaged item from rutlands their attitude was " it was fine when it left us so its your problem" and after 2 weeks of exchanging fruitless emails and being insulted by their "customer service" staff (there's a misnomener) i eventually secured an exchange which arrived in 14 days - no apology, no good will gesture from them, so no further custom or good recomendation from me

Sorry to be so blunt but all that I can say for the service I have ever had from Rutlands has been CR*P

Would not recommend, nor use again.

Roger

Latest posts

Back