Blade stetting jig for cheap Thicknesser/planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter G Denmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a pretty cheap thicknesser/planer, but it does ok.

Trouble is, that the knife setting jig that was supposed to be in the package, was never there, since i bought it second hand.

It's one of those standard things, that comes ith allmost every portable thicknesser. You know - a rod with a piece of triangular aluminium in each end, that you press down on top of the spindle, so the springloaded blades to protrude aprox. 1mm.

I would like to find a replacement, but can't for the life ogf me locate one in ANY web store. I've bought those magnetic setting jig, but there is not enough room for it on the 48mm spindle, and tried to use a dial indicator, but that doesn't really fit either.

I scraped by ith a bent spanner, and a couple of blocks with scres in them, but it's not ideal.

Does anyone know here to get the regular setting tool?

Yes - that's exactly the ones that doesn't fit on the planer. I have of course checked rutlands and axminster.

I use a block of wood with couple of pencil marks on it (4 or 5mm apart) to set the planer blades...the so called 'carry forward' method (much cheaper than Axminster as well) Set the block on the outfeed table so that the first pencil mark is level with the edge of the table. Then rotate the block and if the planer blade is set accurately it should pick the block up and carry it forwards so that the second mark is aligned with the edge of the outfeed table...if not, adjust the blade accordingly. It takes a while when you first do it to get the 'knack' of the process but it's the way I've always set my blades - Rob

Sorry - i get the english and american terms mixed up apparantly. I'm talking about a thicknesser (or what the americans call a planer). So the "carry foreward method wouldn't work.

I have no problem setting up my surface planer (jointer) with a dial indicator.

Does nobody know here to buy a the jigs that coma along with most thicknessers

Latest posts

Back