Black & Decker Workmate - Do you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have the original Workmate, as designed by Ron Hickman and manufactured by the firm he set up, Mate Tools, because none of the existing manufacturers he tried to sell the idea to thought it would catch on. It's over 38 years old now and still in regular use. The only thing I have had to replace are the two plastic knobs that you tighten up when you open the Workmate.

Since buying up Workmate, Black & Decker have ruined what was a fantastic product - but then Black & Decker is usually the kiss of death to any product they buy IMHO.

The original Workmate had several good features, like an adjustable foot so that it didn't wobble on an uneven surface, solid Beech vice bars and a strong plywood base that you could stand on to give it extra stability when necessary. The only problem with it is that it's saw horse height, which is a bit low for some uses. That problem was solved with the second, dual height version.

Then Black & Decker bought it and it's gone down hill ever since.

Cheers 😉

Paul
I'd love to see a pic of yours. I bought one back when B&D first put their name on them and it has served me well.

I have two Workmates, both the modern pressed steel type which I press into service every now and then. I replaced or beefed up the tops on each with a small strip of ply glued to the underside to increase the effective depth of the gripping part of the jaws. Coupled with some straight 8 foot 4 x 2s and a ply sheet on top they make an excellent glue up/ assembly bench for working outdoors in fine weather. I used this set up last year to complete a garden woodwork project which utilised long lengths of treated timber- couldn't have done the job without them. The workmate gets a thumbs up from me, a nice addition to the workshop arsenal but but not a substitute for a proper workbench.
I'm trying to picture your setup in my mind but not getting it. If you have a picture or drawing, I'd appreciate it as I work on my driveway a lot.

Add another of the older ones, mines jeez at least 25 years old, and still going strong (pressed steel legs, dual height)- I looked at getting a second one from the local hardware store, and I will say the new ones aren't half what mine is (as in literally about half the weight)
Sure nothing beats a good workbench, but for onsite stuff (until recently i installed solar panels pretty much full time) nothing beats it... (not so sure about those new ones, they seem so flimsy in comparison to my old one)

I'm trying to picture your setup in my mind but not getting it. If you have a picture or drawing, I'd appreciate it as I work on my driveway a lot.
Not the best picture, but I used this set up on my deck last year, allowed me to work under the cover of our gazebo in March.

Attachments

• IMG-20210330-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20210330-WA0008.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 31
I have one of the early aluminium ones with the galvanised step, I also have one of the workmate tool boxes, they have both been very handy, I did also get an Elu Superjaws great for holding doors, and you can turn the vise top around to hold sheet material, and used them together on many jobs.

IMG-20220401-WA0002.jpeg
before....
IMG-20220401-WA0005.jpeg

After....
Forgive me, Drew if I've ruined a masterpiece!

It was quite rusty esp in the cross members u section so thought some paint wouldn't hurt...

I find the Jawhorse more useful, ideal for holding workpieces and for larger jobs just clamp a length of timber in it and then clamp your job to that.

I also have the extension that extends to 4ft so can hold a sheet of whatever.

I bought my B&D professional dual height Workmate in the early '70s. It's got the extension arms for holding sheets etc. I have actually worked on a door using them. As you can see it had a heck of a lot of use (and abuse 🙄) Still in use though not so much lately.
20220401_180127.jpg

I have a Wolf raft one, because I preferred the colours. It's been really handy despite having a big workbench and a Caterpillar.

I realize this topic is the Workmate but along that same line, have any of you ever seen these? I bought a pair back in 1985 and I've never seen another one of them. I foolishly sold them in a garage sale and have kicked myself ever since. Buy, alas, we learn by our mistakes. They were very well made, heavy duty and stored fairly well. If I recall, they were about $40 for the pair.

Attachments

• image_2022-04-01_105555.png
    image_2022-04-01_105555.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 34
Amazingly interesting topic, Ive never seen one of the big deep ones a couple of posts above it looks to be a useful bit of kit, my tatty old thing that I made into a circular saw bench was meant to have a coat of paint if it worked okay but it was in constant use and I never got round to painting it, but it might get a lick now as Ive got myself a cheap site saw but Im still sitting it on top of the old saw table. Has anyone any knowledge of Work Grabbers, hopfully a photo below, looks very B &D workmate style but no mention of B&D on it? I picked up just a single one and although its slightly taller than my black steel dual height workmate its extremely useful, I wish I had a pair.

Attachments

• A689F85E-4800-4142-BB25-592D6B357FFC.jpeg
    A689F85E-4800-4142-BB25-592D6B357FFC.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
Amazingly interesting topic, Ive never seen one of the big deep ones a couple of posts above it looks to be a useful bit of kit, my tatty old thing that I made into a circular saw bench was meant to have a coat of paint if it worked okay but it was in constant use and I never got round to painting it, but it might get a lick now as Ive got myself a cheap site saw but Im still sitting it on top of the old saw table. Has anyone any knowledge of Work Grabbers, hopfully a photo below, looks very B &D workmate style but no mention of B&D on it? I picked up just a single one and although its slightly taller than my black steel dual height workmate its extremely useful, I wish I had a pair.
I'd not seen one before and when I saw it local to me for £25 I just had to jump.... Mrs said don't you have one already!!

Looks useful and a bit of nostalgia too!

Back