Vintage Workmate spares??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Ages ago,I inherited a vintage Black & Decker Workmate (model WM325, the old aluminium dual height version) from my father in law. Over the years, the push-in round rubber feet that are used when the bench is set at the lowest level have disappeared, except for one!

I've had a quick Google and can only find a single foot on eBay (asking price £20!!!!).

I just wondered if one of you kind people may have any suggested alternatives that I could use as substitute feet or, possibly, someone out there may even have feet that they are happy to sell me!

Thanks in advance

Mike

How about getting rubber feet with m8 bolts on them? Im guessing theres a hole in the bracket in eack corner?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-131618_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-131618_Chrome.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 0
That sounds a good idea. But, I don;t think there are screw threads in the holes on the Workmate - the existing feet simply push in......

3D printer, good excuse to get one if you don’t have one😉

Don't look on eBay. Google search "B&D Workmate spares" and you will find plenty of sites for the spare parts.
Nigel

Try a rubber door stop?

I'll look at mine I'm a mo and have may have a bright idea!

THINK the holes are threaded; the ones on my similar ones certainly are. Not sure where the feet now on it came from, as they've been on it for 30+ years. but could check the thread if it's any help.

The blind holes on my alloy wm325 mk3 from the 70's are smooth as OP describes.
I've replaced rear feet that fit unthreaded through holes with screw adjustable feet - there are many many sources - but front push ins are still original compliant plastic. V basic. Not adjustable.
Try the ideas already given.
As a last resort you could have a pair made on a lathe from plastic or metal.
The only thing that matters is diameter of the push in for a snug fit.
Compensate for height by adjusting the back feet.

Last edited:
Isaac Lord list a "Thames Glide" 8mm threaded, either tap an 8mm hole or clearance and use two 8mm nuts. These are probably 25-30 mm diameter foot. No idea why they are called "Thames" glides but I have used them for years on adjustable plinths, (with tee-nuts with wood) etc. They would do the job!

You can get expanding rubber inserts to fit any size and shape of tube whether square or round, I think there was a video by Peter Parffit that used them on his Axminster professional router table, I certainly followed his example on mine and it worked very well.

It isn't the £150 price tag, it's the maybe 400 mile round trip to go and collect it in person when you find a good example.
They are head and shoulders nicer than the pressed steel ones, but you are conscious that they are a big of an antique, that alloy might crack when steel will bend, and you think twice before hammering things on them :)

Thank you for all your replies. I'm going to try M8 bolts and see how things go.

I'd no idea the bench was worth so much! It's been in my garage for over 20 years, after my Father-in-Law passed away. At the time, I had a newer, blue B&D Workmate but that didn't stand the test of time. This thing is built like a tank and, so far, has been great for anything I've wanted to do with it.

I too have acquired an ancient aluminium-framed Workmate, which I deem much more solid and substantial than the tinny top of the range one I have been using, and grumbling about. And like "Victorthesecond" it's missing some rubber feet. I can confirm the holes are not tapped, and that the rubber foot just pushes in, and that I also am not willing to stump up £20 for just a single one on eBay. As the hole is 5/16" already, tapping to M8 is not an option, and anyway I like originality.
I have tried all the hints above in this thread to try and find a suitable foot at a reasonable price, and failed. What could help is knowing the B&D part number. Anyone got an original parts list for these old models? I "think" mine is WM325 but it's not marked, of course.
+ + +
Edited no more than 15 minutes later: I may be on the track of something, Black & Decker Workmate WM225 and WM325 contains an annotated original parts list!

Last edited:
I gave up looking for original feet (opportunity for someone with a home moulding set....?). I evolved a plan of buying feet with M8 threaded studs, which would be a free fit in the 5/16" workmate sockets, and to make them tight I would sleeve the studs in heatshrink sleeve (or PVC tape). I found a set of studs (eBay item 224530278411 - search "Furniture feet") for under £8 including postage. I fitted nuts partly to raise the feet a little, partly so that the weight of the workmate was taken on the stud, and also so that the studs fitted to the two two blind holes did not punch through. It may not be original, but it'll do.

Attachments

• B&D feet.jpg
    B&D feet.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 0
  • B&D foot.jpg
    B&D foot.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 0
Back