Black & Decker Workmate - Do you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in this neck of the woods use a Black & Decker workmate? I've used two for the last few years, one original cast alloy and a second pressed steel. Different heights which is annoying but the nearest thing I've had to a workbench.

My reason for asking is that the cast alloy one is beginning to show it's age. I moved it today and found one of its bolts lying on the floor where it'd been standing. This is not the first time. I could keep repairing it but it's all a bit loose to say the least.

My workshop is a single garage and I have not really got the space for a proper bench. I'm not sure I want one either as I often take the workmates outside to cut panels on.

They have their drawbacks like movement when planing and the legs that seem to stick out just that little bit too much.

I guess I'm just interested in other peoples solutions to this type of situation.

Hi,

I made loads of stuff on my modern work mate before I got my bench and they are rubbish, you can't put a long board upright in the jaws as the crossbar of the frame is in the way they wear out quickly, are to light to plane on and the jaws are to thin, apart from that they are good :wink:
I picked up an old blue one from a car boot sale in virtually un-used condition for £8, it is twice the weight and seems a lot better made.
You would be better off with a bench even a fold out one, and a couple of the cheap workmate clones for cutting sheet goods on like I do.

Pete

Hi Matt

I only used my 2 (old) workmates when making my dining room table.

When the table top was clamped to the two benches at the same time, the whole assembly became much more rigid, but still not a permanent solution.

They have many poor qualities and I long for a descent bench, but hey, I couldn't have done this job (and others) without them, so they have served their purpose. One belongs to my dad and one was his dads, so they've seen plenty of use.

There is a thread on the forum somewhere about renovating a workmate too I think.

Good luck with yours.

Paul

I bought my first one about a month ago, when Screwfix had them on sale at first price. I've got a large workbench but, it's something I'm looking to replace in the near future. I am finding all sorts of uses for my workmate though - it is good for cramping small components using the pegs and, at it's lowest height, it gives me a good working height for my benchtop router table.

I bought mainly to help me when I'm doing a job for someone away from the workshop. I've used the dirt cheap 'immitations' and they really are rubbish! I do agree about the thickness of the tops on the modern workmates; it's pathetic, although you can always replace them.

I have a cheap and cheerful B&Q one that is useful for odds and sods, mostly the portability.

In the garage I use an old table top on a couple of saw horses. It has some strips of MDF set at 90 degrees screwed to the underside which can be handy for sawing and clamping.

I still have the original Workmate, as designed by Ron Hickman and manufactured by the firm he set up, Mate Tools, because none of the existing manufacturers he tried to sell the idea to thought it would catch on. It's over 38 years old now and still in regular use. The only thing I have had to replace are the two plastic knobs that you tighten up when you open the Workmate.

Since buying up Workmate, Black & Decker have ruined what was a fantastic product - but then Black & Decker is usually the kiss of death to any product they buy IMHO.

The original Workmate had several good features, like an adjustable foot so that it didn't wobble on an uneven surface, solid Beech vice bars and a strong plywood base that you could stand on to give it extra stability when necessary. The only problem with it is that it's saw horse height, which is a bit low for some uses. That problem was solved with the second, dual height version.

Then Black & Decker bought it and it's gone down hill ever since.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've still got and use my original dual height alloy W/M. It lives outside, looks like s**t but still works, so long as I keep the threads greased.
Outside jobs like a bit of spraying, or brazing, those jobs you don't like doing in the shed/workshop . Wouldn't do without it. :lol:

John. B

I second Paul's opinion of the decline. Changing the vice jaws from high grade ply down to chipboard is the sort of decision that can only have been made to cut costs a bit, regardless of how much less durable it makes the product.

That said, I've had plenty of productive use out of mine. Top tips:

Clamp a long bit of 2x4 to butt up against the wall to improve stability when planing.

Use two together if you can.

Andy

I've got two of the original types - one I bought and the other I inherited from my father.
Both going strong - one is now used as a base for my router table after many years as a base for my Draper T/S.
I also fitted some Record Holdfasts to mine which proved useful over the years.

Rod

Harbo":1wry9orv said:
I also fitted some Record Holdfasts to mine which proved useful over the years.

I fitted a Record holdfast to mine as well :D You'd have a job fitting the collar to one of the present-day clones with their flimsy vice jaws.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've had a Workmate 400 with plywood jaws for many, many years and it's a great invention. Sure. it has limitations but that's the price you pay for its portability. You've got to be inventive to get the best out of it.

You can read about Ron Hickman's struggle to bring his invention to the market in Scott Landis' book The Workbench Book. Which is worth getting anyway because it's a brilliant book.

I've had a B&D Workmate for 25 years. Pressed steel and plywood tops. Started out for DIY in a flat, through engine rebuilds, failing to plane, garden carpentry, indoor building, metalwork, router table stand and a final realisation that a proper woodwork bench needs to follow it - but never replace it. It's far too useful for general DIY, but I'll be glad to get better support and clamping for proper woodwork - eventually...

I have the dual height one with the ali legs, had it since it first came out, must be over 35 years. Invaluable, its been my only bench until I made the new one this year.

I honestly think I'd struggle without my workmate.
Out in the garden for cutting sheets, down at the cricket club, up in a bedroom or wherever. There's lots of times I want a something handy to rest a tool on (or even just a paint tin) and the workmate is tailor made for the job - mine's about 10 years old and only seems to have one height setting (or at least that I've noticed).

I Have the richmond workmate the jaws can be released to stand 90 degrees face on, plus i have the B & D workmate toolbox with the wooden jaws which has been a god send when working on site & I also have the B & D benchtop workmate which has also come in very handy

Dang! I got all nostalgic and fixed the old workmate. The only thing I'm missing now is one of the short springs that ensure the front legs (one of) snaps open or snaps shut (and is held shut rather than flapping about waiting to take out my ankles).

Hello all,

I have had the dual height, pressed steel workmate for 27 years, it has served me reliably and I would not be without it. I had to replace the four plastic springs clips which hold the lower legs out in place about 10 years ago, but other than that no other faults.

GT

I've used the pressed steel, dual height version for years now. I replaced the original working surfaces with some chunky bits of iroko which make it much better. Mine lives just outside the back door and provided that the threads and slidy bits are all decently greased, it doesn't seem to suffer - Rob

Latest posts

Back