Biscuits in 12mm ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegw

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start a project using 12mm ply - my original plan for joining was going be biscuits and gorilla glue.

But thinking about it further I've a couple of concerns: when connecting an edge to a side I don't think 12mm will allow the biscuit to go deep enough, and am I right in thinking that biscuits work by expanding into the slot? would this risk pushing the ply apart?

Any ideas?

They won't expand if you use gorilla glue - normally you would use PVA which contains water - this expands the glue.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

to prevent blowing or telegraphing thin materials ive used mitre fix on biscuits.

ive done it on laminate flooring into a hardwood hearth surround, plastic vennered chipboard and its very good for quick router jigs

you have to be VERY confident and work VERY fast

you absolutly have to do a dry trial fit

I believe mitrefix is just a brand name for superglue? In which case i have used this for some years for crack repairs and joints, have 3 different viscosities and is water activated if you need quick setting. I do not use biscuits, just superglue.

I had a look in at Axminster and the discription for the glue, it appears tobe a two part type set up, whereas superglue in the past to me has always been a drip out of a tube. (not a commuter of cource)

its a two part superglue, super glue and a can of spray activator

mitre fix is almost a generic name

i first came accross it fixing light baffles and pelmets on a kitchen fit

i treat it as a glue that is only suitable for chipboard, mdf, laminates and plastics where there is little or no seasonal movement

i wouldnt use it on wood.

ps

and before some smart alec says "but you used it on laminate into a harwood hearth surround"

yebut, nobut, yebut

the timber "ends" of the biscuits wernt glued, it wasnt a butt joint relying on the biscuits (2mm of laminate above the biscuit wouldnt take the strain)

the hearth surround was rebated to support the laminate and i used contact adhesive to hold the laminate to the rebate

and is therefore outside :(

Would the mitre fix be water proof? even if I put a really big roof on apparantly the Rabbit can't help getting the inside a little wet;)

Thanks

Dave

ive read your first post again

if you are using biscuits in 12mm ply make sure they are 10s not 20s

and dont worry about telegraphing to much, if it needs to be waterproof use a a D3 PVA glue

If your not sure D3 is the classification for waterproof glue

Evo Stick PVA in the blue bottle is waterproof.

davegw":mre600jy said:
and is therefore outside :(

Would the mitre fix be water proof? even if I put a really big roof on apparantly the Rabbit can't help getting the inside a little wet;)

Thanks

Dave

Yes Dave superglue is waterproof and water activated, i suspect the activator in sprays you buy is scented water, i spray with water from the tap. I have impregnated my old ply dinghy with the thin stuff where there is rot and is now the strongest part of the boat.

But for the rabbit hutch i would use polyurethane, fills up gaps

David

Back