Bird nesting box plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's not high jacking the thread, any thought's on wire or mesh defences to stop the darling kitty devouring the occupants?
I have been going for Some sort of umbrella shape. Rodders

Not a problem Rodders, the more the merrier. The only thing I can think of is to encase the box in wire like chicken wire but a little bigger guage, I think chicken wire might be to small ???.

The RSPB designs are the ones to work from, the one design I've not seen on their site but is in their Bird Feeder book is like the standard design but without a front and is for wagtails and flycatchers. I've made over the years about 400 or 500, some assembled for sites I work on and most as kits for youngsters to assembly at community events. If you pre-drill the nail holes in the first bit of wood it allows the nail to be placed in the hole and makes it easier for unskilled people to assemble, I've had every age from pre-schoolers (with their mothers help) to pensioners put them together. A couple of tips, I use strips of rubber backed carpet tile to make a hinge for the roof with the front held down by a loop of thin wire through the roof and around a nail in the front. This is to allow you to clean out last years nest, although the Blue **** that nest in my garden dont seem to mind. Also if there are Magpies or Squirrels around the nest box you might want to place a sheet of metal with a hole in it on the front around the hole to stop them pecking/ chewing to get at the nestlings.

Insect boxes are just open fronted bird boxes filled with bits of bamboo or chunks of wood with holes drilled in them. You want to vary the hole sizes as different insects look for different size holes.

Hope this helps!

Steve

these sell well

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi All,

Well I had a meet up with the owner of one of the many pet super stores around our area today and took in three sample bird boxes I had made for him to have a look at, to my surprise he wanted all three boxes and we agreed a price of £5 for each one. I have to get cracking now as he wants more of the same. Happy days.

Hi Wizard,

Thanks for the idea. Just wondering how the slate is bonded to the wood ??? at a guess is it some sort of mastic ???

Cheers

Graham

Grayo":2w4775tn said:
Hi All,

Well I had a meet up with the owner of one of the many pet super stores around our area today and took in three sample bird boxes I had made for him to have a look at, to my surprise he wanted all three boxes and we agreed a price of £5 for each one. I have to get cracking now as he wants more of the same. Happy days.

Well done. I hope you do very well out of your sales.

bodgerbaz":2879rv8o said:
Grayo":2879rv8o said:
Hi All,

Well done. I hope you do very well out of your sales.

Thanks bb, It's not going to make me a millionaire over night lol but it's nice to be able to earn a few pound doing something you enjoy. And the best part is the materials is all free.

Back