Big solo clamp storage WIP- bit different

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
We managed to accumulate alot of solo clamps. Rather than just bang a nail in the wall, and hang them from it, i thought id try something a bit different.
845a4801.jpg

I drilled some holes in the steel bar on the lathe, then tapped a thread. There bolted through using big washers to spread the load.
597bce9c.jpg

It turned out alright.
811ca5ba.jpg

Brightens the workshop up a bit anyway :wink:
a42f8c55.jpg

Simon

Must have been bored?
-At the time id just bought a new engineering lathe. Wanted an excuse to make some swarf straight away.
Dont any of you ever get a new tool and straight away want to make something with it?
My job is pretty much bench work (joinery)and very occasional site work. Starting at 7 every morning and finishing at 5.30 its nice to be able to work with anything other than trees. Unless i try learning other things, (by doing things like this) im never going to be able to do anything other than chippying.
Now,Instead of looking at a problem with just a saw and nail approach, i've now got a little welding, tapping and lathe work also under my belt. Its amazing how knowing a few engineering bits can change the way you look at a job.

Mike, im a little unfortunate as this type of thing was my hobby before it became my job. Each to there own i guess...............

Simon

That's a great solution, I like it - an instant talking point for anyone entering your workshop! :D

Well done Simon, very individual and nicely done! What better way to spend your spare time than doing what you enjoy!

OPJ":3r10mpzx said:
That's a great solution, I like it - an instant talking point for anyone entering your workshop! :D

Therein lies a problem... I don't need for someone to have a talking point when they enter my workshop. The need a reason to leave asap! :D

matt":1oqz7hfu said:
OPJ":1oqz7hfu said:

Therein lies a problem... I don't need for someone to have a talking point when they enter my workshop. The need a reason to leave asap! :D

A man after my own heart...

Ed

Thanks for all the comments everyone-I appreciate that it mighten be to every ones taste. learnt a few new things from making this, so not a complete waste of time.

an instant talking point for anyone entering your workshop!
Thanks for your kind words Olly. I find any thing that can break the ice when a new customer comes in, cant be a bad thing. I made this to go with my other abnormal sized feature in the workshop. If some people think the clamp was a waste of time :whistle:

fd337940.jpg

I wanted a shelf to go at my old place of work. The building was very structurally unsound. The only good fixing i could find for the shelf end, was where the green line was. Just thought it was a little more interesting than a plain triangle piece. I left that job, and took the saw with me.

8617b6da.jpg

It now supports the lathe.

Where the saw handle joins onto the blade was my first attempt at freehand routing. Using a v groover in a router i was able to quite successfully follow the shape i had drawn. My next project made full use of this new idea :!:

Simon

Back