Better Bandsaw & P/T versus cheaper equipment etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nigel,

I won't argue a Hammer machine is a nice bit of kit but there are other brands that are well nailed together and can do a fine job.

You can have the benefit of all three for £2500. Think Axminster 10" table saw (Tony), (£500?), Axminster 4300 bandsaw (£800) (Philly), a Scheppach P/T (£850) (lots of us). It's all good quality at the serious hobbyist level, and you'll have £350 change :wink: .

cheers,

Ike

I bought a table-saw with a sliding carriage (Scheppach 4010) and a 260mm P/T first and recently (some years later) bought a Hammer bandsaw. I have never owned a radial-arm saw or equivalent because I find for what I do that the dimensioning (cross-cut) capability of the table saw is all I need.

The finish from the table saw when ripping or crosscutting is excellent so the waste from the 3.2mm kerf is not so different to the bandsaw waste with the thinner blade and ripples. The bandsaw, of course, has much deeper ripping capacity and I use it for cutting (thick) veneers - which do need a lot of planing to remove the ripples.
For me, the sequence of table-saw & P/T, followed much later by bandsaw, worked well, but whether this is an optimum approach does rather depend on the work you want to do.

On the subject of space: Manufacturers' wheel kits work wonders.....but be aware that even with a wheel kit even a 100kg machine can be difficult to move. Hammer's bandsaw wheel-kit is not cheap but works very well - can't comment on the PT. (My workshop is 6m x 3m so repositioning machines is compulsory.)

As far as buying the best you can afford is concerned - at least that way you can persuade yourself you can avoid "needing" to buy twice ;-)

Simon

Back