Bench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maverick81":2dr61vad said:
Most valuable tool to me on this whole project however.....was my plan/sketch/dimensions I created beforehand. For good results there's Google Sketch Up.........
Paper and pencil is still good. I like it because it's hands on from early on in the process. If you go on to do a full size rod you can sort out all the design details full size, then lay components on and take marks off directly.

Your bench doesn't have to be pretty for it to be useful.

This is my bench:

bench1.jpg

It won't win any awards but it allows me to produce the work I want to. The top is flat and stable, there is no racking and I have lots of clamping options. To quote Han Solo "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts".

Keep going with your current build and then use it a for a while. As you continue onto new projects, you'll learn from them too (most of my work ends with a series of lesson on the theme of 'What not to do') :)

To be honest, much as I admire those really beautiful hardwood benches with their contrasting inlays and shiny hardware, I'd never build one for myself - I'd be so worried about damaging the bench that the quality of my work would suffer. I'm starting to design my next bench but this one will still be used as second bench if only for all the messy fibreglass work I do.

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 52
NikonD80":sfo6z2r4 said:
I'm starting to design my next bench but this one will still be used as second bench if only for all the messy fibreglass work I do.

I bought (cheap, at auction) a Record #5 engineer's vise that had been used to hold moulds in a fibre glass pond liner factory.

It looked terrible, like a icky, multi-coloured stalagmite.

However, as I removed the accumulated matter, an immaculate vise appeared, albeit with wrecked paintwork.

It had no weld marks, hack saw marks, file marks or hammer marks.

It was good as new (except for cosmetics) after a clean up.

BugBear

Hi Lads,

Just to say thanks for all your help on this.

As usual great ideas and advice!

Phil

Back