Belt sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billfarworth

Reaction score
Hi my old parkside sander died.
I am in the process for new one.
In my list is the :
Makita 9903 76mm belt sander
Makita 9911 76mm sander
Metabo BAE75, 1010W
Triton TA1200BS Belt Sander 76mm
Any sujestion of preferences?
I will appreciate a feedback!

I've had a Bosch GBS 75 AE for many years which has given good service. It gives good results and spare parts are readily available - I've replaced the graphite pad and the belt release lever. I also have a sanding frame that came with it and is useful on larger flat surfaces. If I had to replace it I would buy another.

Misterfish

Thanks for the reply mate.
Old bosch are good good tools.Not sure about there today stuff.
Could you or someonelse from the forum give feedback about the sanders I have in my list.
The issue is that the seller I am going to purchase has only this brands and models so I will have to s tick with one of them :wink: .
Thanks in advance!

The Metabo is good. It also comes with the inversion stand and side fence, which are usually expensive extras with other sanders.

However, if you want a sanding frame for it (as I recently did) then it'll set you back £188 according to Metabo!

Mark

This is a Review from a Site about the Metabo Mark!

Was looking for a quality belt sander and came across the Metabo. I had Metabo in combination in hand with quality products head. Sorry None.

Metabo should be ashamed, then sell the product under their name. I am more than disappointed and angry also.

reason:
First generally cheap processing
Second The front handle wobbles and can not be properly secured.
Third The motor operates at very irregular.
4th Made in China

Conclusion: cheap China-Ware
Stay away if you are looking for something high quality. The thing is at most hardware store quality.

@ Metabo: I had already bought for our company many Metabo devices that were all still made ​​in Germany and of high quality. Now that times have changed and it seems when you have nothing better in mind to turn a reputable craftsmen DIY goods, which was the last Metabo, which I bought. Their cheap Chinese junk you can turn on whom else.

What a load of rubbish! It's strange that I completely disagree with that review!

Cheaply made? Nope! It's excellent quality, I would even say better than the Dewalt and Bosch (blue) tools I own.

Wobbly knob? The front knob is adjustable and there is a little bit of play, but it isn't wobbly! Did he tighten it up properly?

Irregular motor? It has soft start and full-wave electronic speed control, so do sound a bit different when starting, compared to a regular brush motor, e.g. in an angle grinder.

Made in China? Why does that matter? Most things are nowadays.

I've tried very cheap belt sanders in the past and I would associate the issues that guy brought up with them, but definitely not with the Metabo.

Mark

I am supprised that their tool made in China.
Everything I have from Metabo and I have to say, it is top quality is Made in Germany.
But I will have to agree with you, as some Makita stuff Iown, made in China but it is top quality.
Happy you disagree with the review !To be honest I really suprised! Metabo has a really good reputation around.
To be honest not a big fun of the Dewalt stuff Blue Bosch another story . An old angle grinder I have I could say is top quality!
Mark are you going to put the Metabo Belt sander above the Makita?
I am looking the Makita 9903 similar in Watt with the Metabo.
I have an orbital sander from them and I have to say it is really good tool!
Any idea about the Triton one that is really cheap?

I wouldn't put it above the Makita sanders as I've never used one to compare, though they do have a very strong following here.

Haven't a clue about the Triton, sorry.

Mark

billfarworth":25tm5k22 said:
Hi my old parkside sander died.
Thinking about a belt sander myself, and I notice that the Parkside belt sander is to be available again in Lidls from next Thursday (27-09-12):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _34780.htm

I know you said your 'old one' died, but how old was it, and would you say it's worth a shot for a measly £25?

I would be surprised if the matabo belt sander is rubbish as there other Sanders are top marks with there orbital sander being the best 240v there is.

I do own a maki sander and it is a fantastic tool. Its never unplugged.

McGill i am not purchasing Parkside stuff anymore.Really DIY thinks.
Price is super but you cannot compare with a Metabo or Makita one.
Even Triton to be honest so not in my list really.
Thanks you let me know!
HC I am with you always say that Makita is dedicated woodworking company on the other side Metabo is the best tool for a steelworker.
Any of the two will be good choice!
Not know about the Triton its Routers are really gooddd.
Purchase the 1400 nd really pleased!

This is on my wish list. It's an old model, but gets good reviews and seems to go for a good price on the Bay, implying it's robust.

I like the idea of varispeed. I've got an industrial-rated Makita orbital already (BO4900V), and that's brilliant, but it's orbital - the 9404 is the belt equivalent, I think. There is a frame for it, but as someone else said, the accessories do look pricey :-(

Cheers,

E.

Eric thats the one I have, its a great belt sander and you don't need a frame, it sits upside down nicely and don't rock. Dust collection is fantastic on it.

billfarworth":33fhget8 said:
McGill i am not purchasing Parkside stuff anymore.Really DIY thinks.
Price is super but you cannot compare with a Metabo or Makita one.
Even Triton to be honest so not in my list really.
Thanks you let me know!

Well, I went and bought the Parkside Belt Sander today. On first impressions it does feel a bit 'plasticky' and it's certainly noisy enough to require ear defenders, especially in my poky wee 10' x 8' shed.

On a test piece it sanded the face of a rough-sawn unplaned 100 x 22 x 600 board to fairly smooth pretty quickly. Just a quick tidy up from an orbital sander required. The top of the sander sits flat on my bench, and the provided clamps hook in and keep it perfectly stable for hand-held shaping.

I can't possibly vouch for its longevity, nor its reliability, but as an entry level belt sander for a first -time hobby user like me, I think it'll do me just fine. And at £25 it won't be such a loss if I have to upgrade in the near future, if required.

I am kicking myself, that I didn't grab one a couple of weeks back when they were in the local Lidl

Latest posts

Back