Belt Sander buying advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all, following earlier advice here on another project I borrowed a belt sander from a neighbour to clean up an ex-school Emir workbench that he had given me. Made a huge difference compared with my small Makita RO sander.

I now have to tackle the outside of the 5x5 metre workshop which hasn't been touched in years.

Could you recommend a suitable belt sander that would make this task something easier than the six days I spent tackling the garage doors with the Makita please?

Any recommendations on a suitable product to protect the wood would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20221111_102920.jpg
    20221111_102920.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a 4" Makita belt sander and it would easily be up to the job, but I wouldn't last long. They are excellent machines but heavy to use. I would be looking at a stiff broom and light jet wash on those surfaces.

Colin

A belt sander would be dead along with ur back and arms by the time u finished.......
Ive always used Sikkens in difficult jobs.......
If it were mine, power wash it to get rid of the moss and loose bits....
Allow a week or so to dry then use something like Sikkens oil type finish, it's not a varnish but some kinda stained oil.....
It can be repainted/covered once dry if necc....
There are a couple of French brand finishes that are very simiar but I think Sikkens is better.....having used both over the years....
Not living in the UK for 30 years I've know idea whats available now.....
but Sikkens is a world leader and pretty much exclusive in the yachting world......
so at least two coats, then if u wanna recoat in a coupe of years theres NO sanding...just paint it on....
roller or brush......perhaps if ur careful u could spray it but with an automotive finish gun.....I've never done it that way.....
only ever use brush n roller.....

Ive recoated this when I moved in 3 years ago.....that's all the framing and the T+G ceilings on the outside covered areas....
IMG_2116.JPG

It's supposed to last 5 years'ish and UV resistant......it has a tougher life in the UK with the changeable seasons..........
every house up untill recently had bare hardwood wooden window frames......once done never again....
it's not so cheap but it's worth the investment....

or if it's Cedar just leave well alone...it will grey down in colour and look rustic.....
but dont think that/it will be Cedar tho unless it 30 years or older......

Latest posts

Back