Bed Building Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm build a new bed for myself and partner. This will be the second ever item I'll actually be building for me!

I'll be using dominos for the alignment but want to use bed bolts or similar for the strength. I was reading jyates excellent bed build and he has these ones:

3539815656_2f4865343b_b.jpg

So does anyone have good links to some decent Bed bolts that are easy to install?

Jyates also built his own slats, I was going to buy the slats from Ikea, they make a set designed for a king size bed thats £60 which seemed pretty good value considering he time and effort required to make them?

TIA

If I were building a bed again I'd use ordinary bolts, massive ones - the kind you get your 30mm spanners out for and need washers the size of an old penny - and then make the wood work around them.

The tinny little commercial ones are not up to the job and when the thing starts creaking you'll wish you'd engineered it like a paranoid Victorian from the get-go.

Thats exactly what I was planning on doing before I saw that hole idea I posted.

So just some average bolts, plugged on on side in a square mortice on the other.

Cheap as chips and easy to do!

What about the slats? DIY or BUY?

I've used these on a couple of beds and not had any complaints of creaking from my clients

Jason

They look good jason, thanks.

Half Moon Bolts is what those are called I've just gleened from reading the thread again.

For your slats try ikea, got mine from there,cheap and do a good job. Much better than the cheap slats you get in "argos" beds

Agreed. Ikea slats - plenty of choice, you can buy them on their own, and it's cheaper than you could pay for the materials. Spend your time on the interesting bit that shows, where you can put your design ideas in.

This is what i got but i had to go for 2 sets with a central beam. They are very supportive and solid feeling, i couldn't believe the weight of them when we picked them, was expecting cheap pine but its actually laminated

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50160208

didn't look at the other types so not sure on them.

They look interesting.

I think I'll go for a full span if they are good and strong they should be ok?

Pete, why did you go for 2 separate ones?

Thats what was needed for the old ikea bed we had so they got re used but remembered they were a sperate item to the bed when buying them as we nearly forgot them.

Latest posts

Back