Barley Twist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A while back, one of the forum members was looking for some twist work doing. My name was suggested and I got the job. Thank you all who recommended me!

It turned out to be a stretcher for a footstool. The original was full of woodworm - I'm assured long gone! The twist itself was the most challenging that I have had to deal with, but after some careful work with my little Proxxon angle grinder and lots of hand work, I got it finished.

Made in Beech, 50mm diameter and just shy of 800mm long

DSC01471.JPG

Cheers

Richard

It looks good. My father was a partner an antique refinishing business and his part was the repairs that had to be done. Every season or so a piece of furniture would need a new section or replacement barley twist. He did his without power tools but like yours they were as good or better than new.

Pete

That included small twist is certainly designed to put a concentration marker down, I can almost visualise the sigh of relief after every rasping session.

Yes, excellent work Richard. I followed the original thread by Mr Tree (I think) with interest, but it seemed to fizzle out. Then suddenly your finished masterpiece turned up on a certain American forum about 2 weeks ago. Surprised that you waited so long before unveiling it here.
Well done,
Tudor

Thanks for your comments guys.

Tudor, I posted on the AAW site first because it's an easy site to post pictures on. You can upload direct from your file and the forum automatically resizes it. On here I upload to my website and have to resize myself - all a bit of a faff, so you guys had to wait til I got my back side into gear and put the picture up on my website! Sorry to keep you hanging :lol: :wink:

Richard

Latest posts

Back