bargain tablesaw to be had (not mine)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt normally highlight an ebay sale , in line with what was previously said about anoying those members who might be bidding low - however this is currently without bids (due i suspect to the stupid way its been listed in that it doesnt come up in the search for tablesaw), and also has a buy it now button for £350 notes which is imo an absolute steal

it is an ex school startrite tablesaw and is three phase but could run from an inverter and fitted with a DC brake - from what i can see it looks to be in good nick and is said to have only had light use. If i could fit it in my workshop i'd have bought it by now (especially bearing in mind that 350 notes is only 15 more than the axi ts200 goes for) but unfortunately i cant as i need summat more compact.

startrite table saw on ebay

Jus to reitterate this saw is nothing to do with me and i am in no way connected to the seller ( I also take no responsibility if you buy it and it isnt as good as it looks)

cheers

Pete

It does look quite good though, I'd question whether that's the original crown guard...?! "Dim saw" is an abbreviation for "dimension saw", by the way. :wink:

A search for "startrite table saw" brings it up and there are still six-days to run on the auction. :wink:

Why don't you buy this for your work and take the TS200 home for yourself? :D

Its a nice clean machine, but I suspect 3 Phase is an issue for most of us.

Ed

OPJ":2ss5v5fd said:
It does look quite good though, I'd question whether that's the original crown guard...?! "Dim saw" is an abbreviation for "dimension saw", by the way. :wink:

A search for "startrite table saw" brings it up and there are still six-days to run on the auction. :wink:

Why don't you buy this for your work and take the TS200 home for yourself? :D

our current workshop at work doesnt have three phase - the new one will have but we now arent moving till june - Because we dont want to move a heavy ass saw twice the decision is that we wont replace the TS200 at work until after we have moved, but we will then buy a big (and i mean big) lump of cast iron at that stage either from ebay or from G&M or similar.

( i dont want to wait that long myself so i'm going to buy either a small lump of cast iron or a ts200 myself first - then when we replace the work TS i will be offering it for sale on here)

btw i'm aware the auction has quite a long while to run but thought that the buy now price was enough of a bargain that it was worth highlighting in case someone wants to short circuit the auction.

On the threephase question bob sent me a link that would get an inverter suitable for running a saw like that (or indeed a bandsaw which is what i'm probably going to get one for) for about 60 notes

I went through a phase of looking at these Startrites and I think I'd buy one if I could afford it. I'd only gain an inch on the blade diametre over the TS200 but they are nice solid machines. One thing about these small Startrites is the power of the motor. They're normally all under 1hp. That seems a bit weedy to me. So I think rather than use Bob's advice of using a phase converter, I'd upgrade the motor. Either way, it would push the price of this unit up to £500ish Not too bad, but not the bargain it seems at first. Especially if you have some expense in picking the saw up.

Dalboy":arh0vhtv said:
Sorry boys it's sold

No I did not buy it

come on tom confess, it was you wasnt it - your post above just being a smokescreen :D

wizer":2oucvexe said:
One thing about these small Startrites is the power of the motor. They're normally all under 1hp.

...Are you sure you've got that right, Tom? :? 1HP is approximately 750-800w! You must have meant 2HP (1,500w), which is still ample for cutting 3in. hardwoods on an irregular basis. :)

Pete, sorry, I thought you were moving much sooner.

Got what right? The Startrite posted above and many like them that I have seen are fitted with a 1HP motor.

Sorry, Tom, I didn't even notice that! :oops:

1HP in three-phase has got to be better than the same in single-phase, hasn't it? (Where's Bob??? :D) Otherwise, I totally agree. I can't imagine they were producing these saws years ago with under-powered motors...

In all seriousness though, how often would you be cutting anything thicker than 1in.?

That's still an extra half HP JHB.

Olly, you may be right about the 3phase thing ? :duno:

OPJ":3jzb3chk said:
Pete, sorry, I thought you were moving much sooner.

lol - so did we - but unfortunately the muppets organising the move couldnt organise a rock fight in a quarry, so it keeps getting put back.

originally it was last october, then this february, and now this june (my money is actually on next october :lol: )

OPJ":38mmfrm6 said:
Sorry, Tom, I didn't even notice that! :oops:

1HP in three-phase has got to be better than the same in single-phase, hasn't it? (Where's Bob??? :D) Otherwise, I totally agree. I can't imagine they were producing these saws years ago with under-powered motors...

In all seriousness though, how often would you be cutting anything thicker than 1in.?

Did someone rub my lamp? :lol:

A horsepower is a horsepower so no real difference in the power output of a 3 phase motor than a similarly rated single phase one.
BUT, the power delivery is smoother on a 3 phase motor- think V12 engine vs straight 4 and the starting torque will be better in overcoming drag of belt drives etc.

Bob

wizer":1200zkc6 said:
They're normally all under 1hp. .

I have owned 4 Startrites (still have 2) they are all over 1 HP

Unless someone has changed the motor a TA175 3 phase with the 10" blade is 2hp. The TA275 3 phase with the 12" blade is 3hp

my TA275 was fitted with a 3p 3hp motor as standard, converted to 1p 3hp thanks to Bob(9fingers) :lol:

CNC Paul":sgtghf9s said:
chill":sgtghf9s said:
my TA275 was fitted with a 3p 3hp motor as standard, converted to 1p 3hp thanks to Bob(9fingers) :lol:

Chris,

How did you do that ?

bob has written an entire treatise on how you do that - here

the simple answer is if it is wired or can be wired in delta you can use an inverter to adapt 1p input to 3p output - the other option being to change the motor over but thats a bit of a faff.

Back