Bargain of the Week?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to B&Q looking for a toilet seat with SWMBO when, on the way out she spots bags of firewood for £3.95 each. All full of "locally felled seasoned hardwood"

Had a bit of a riffle through and got 12 x 12" x 3" cherry logs in one bag. No splits, though with cherry we'll wait and see.

All I need to do now is get my lathe set back up and start turning. again.
Pete

Happy New Year Pete.
Seems like a good buy.Will look forward to see how they turn out.
When do you think you will be back up and running/turning :lol:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":1jvmulfl said:
Happy New Year Pete.
Seems like a good buy.Will look forward to see how they turn out.
When do you think you will be back up and running/turning :lol:
Paul.J.

I have got the shed up and got eletrickery into it today. I cracked a couple of ribs over Christmas leaning against a patio door that wasn't there so can't lift heavy stuff yet so am concentrating on getting a decent bench built first....maybe end of next week if I'm lucky. Just in time for my first turning anniversary.

Pete

Bodrighy":2s0yhguk said:
........ I cracked a couple of ribs over Christmas leaning against a patio door that wasn't there ......

Visions of Pete doing a Dell Boy, pardon my mirth. :twisted:

Take a bit more water with it next time Pete :wink:

Painful way to start the new year, what with that and buying wood, you need to put a bit of theraputic shed time in I think.

CHJ":s7kfemeg said:
Bodrighy":s7kfemeg said:
........ I cracked a couple of ribs over Christmas leaning against a patio door that wasn't there ......

Visions of Pete doing a Dell Boy, pardon my mirth. :twisted:

Take a bit more water with it next time Pete :wink:

Painful way to start the new year, what with that and buying wood, you need to put a bit of theraputic shed time in I think.

My kids felt the same. :cry: They showed the clip of Del Boy the next day and they all fell about laughing.

I know it goes against the grain (sorry :oops: ) buying wood but I love cherry and couldn't resist it.

Hopefully I'll be up and running or rather turning in a week or so. I am detemined to get my shed sorted first though. Have managed to get hold of a load of 4x4 timber which ought to be stable enough when bolted together so I can at last turn that lump of chestnut Paul gave me.
I will return....
Pete

Pete hope you get better soon.
I bet you can't wait to get that big lump ofChestnut out the way :lol:
Your 4x4 should be fine.Just make sure the floor hasn't too much bounce in it if it's a wooden floor.
Paul.J.

That is my problem. When i built my shed i never thought that i was going to start woodturning. I have a wooden suspended floor and my large Jet lathe likes to dance the Rumba sometimes when i am turning. :oops:

I have a piece of kitchen worktop that I as going to bolt down first. If that doesn't work I'll probbably end up cutting a hole through to the concrete base. I am determined not to have to chase the lathe around any more :lol:

Pete

shedhead":onjreoir said:
That is my problem. When i built my shed i never thought that i was going to start woodturning. I have a wooden suspended floor and my large Jet lathe likes to dance the Rumba sometimes when i am turning. :oops:

With my first workshop at home - garden shed 8' x 14' - I cut a hole in the floor for each lathe and put a concrete slab 4 to 6 inches thick into which I bolted the lathe bench/stand. Within the last 3 years I moved workshops and didn't immediately bolt the lathes down as I wanted to first ensure the layout was how I wanted it. I still remember being amazed and frightened by how a 10" dia x 14" wet cherry log caused my cast iron Euro 3000, weighing over half a ton, to shake violently. As soon as the anchor bolts were put in the difference was unbelievable.

It is well worth the effort of bolting any lathe to a solid base especially with the less expensive light weight machines. The difference in the capability of the lathe is immeasurable.

hello there! not been on for so long!! new workshop Pete? soopa! I hope the ribs are felling better now. I didn't laugh ....... HONEST!!! I don't buy wood either now, but I wouldn't mind if it was on the death list to be burnt and was THAT cheap! good luck with it. wouldn't want you to waste ALL that money would we??? :D :lol:

Hello Mrs S, Good to hear from you again thought perhaps you'd taken up crochetting or something :lol:

Look forward to seeing saome more of your work, always worth posting

Happy New year
Pete

crocheting sounds tempting ... nah ... my brain is full enough of wool as it is! :roll:
I will post some photos but not done a vast amount lately as I have FINALLY joined the 'good ship green wood' and finding even more time to get it foraged, cut, waxed, rough turned, then, dried and finished is like mission impossible! :cry:

Latest posts

Back