Planking a walnut log - worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallis

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently came by some walnut trees felled locally - the main trunks are straight and without major twists or knots, diameter at the base is around 18" and narrows to around 12-15" over the length I guess 5 - 6ft straight length. Sorry - not got any pics to post.

A local sawyer has quoted £60 to plank one, and I was wondering whether it is worth it? I had originally taken the timber for woodturning (and cos who turns down free wood?!) and now I thought I'd experiment.

With those dimensions, is it likely that i'd get any usable timber? Not sure how much waste is generated - does the sapwood need to be sacrificed from a plank's width? And I was thinking of 2" thickness planks - possibly aiming to be able create a components to joint for a walnut seat for a windsor chair perhaps.

I guess for £60 it's an experiment with not a lot to be lost. But if the general view is that it'd be a waste of wood/money I'll just split the log and hang on to it for bowl blanks.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Look at the ends of the log. My guess is at least half is light coloured sapwood. I would keep it as bowl stock since you won't get much dark yield as boards. Now if you want to quarter it and make squares you could have some nice pieces to make table legs etc with.

Pete

I think £ 60 is a bit steep for a 6 ft log. Can you get a price for the lot bundled together ? However it is English walnut I presume and you will struggle to find it at any kind of affordable price. I know that walnut can be steamed to get rid of the sapwood but obviously ask around. I have cut garden trees into planks on my bandsaw and it's a bit disappointing how little mature wood you end up with.

Latest posts

Back