Bandsaw tyre question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I will follow that procedure. I don’t think there is a marked middle of range for the top wheel, so that is going to take some thought.

Thanks again.
Jon

Steve Maskery":3szcsgme said:
I have never understood notion that the blade can sit right at the front all the time and always track properly. We've had this conversation before on this forum. I do accept that that is how some people have it and it behaves perfectly properly for them. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that. But if the blade is right at the front and it DOESN'T track properly, then what?

The blade is tracked by adjusting its position back or forth, until the blade is cutting square at table position, and if it's not square, you have to shove it over until it is. And if you are using a very narrow blade, I have some that are 1/16", I don't think that there is any way you could get them to stay on the wheel if the teeth were hanging off the front edge.

It doesn't, and never has, made any sense to me. I've asked manufacturers about this and they've not been able to explain the rationale behind it either.

Crowned wheels on a bandsaw have been adopted by manufacturers to compensate for poor manufacturing of the machine.
Both the Kity 613 and the Inca saws are of high quality build and are designed so that the blade will run with the teeth running just in front of the wheels, this works down to a 3/16 blade. For you to talk about a 1/16 blade that would never run properly on either of the above machines is in my opinion you trying to justify your opinion.

Thanks everyone for your help, the saw is now working beautifully after stripping down. Upper guides freed and oiled, new lower guides from hardwood. I did have to re-align the bottom wheel to stop the blade coming off. I also fitted the narrow tyres at the front of the wheels. I don’t think I would source specific and expensive Kity tryes again, as the wheels are standard 12 inch.The Kity has flat tyres and wheels so the Snodgrass setup video is not relevant. If you don’t have the teeth off the front of the wheels then the blade is too far back in the lower guides. The Tufsaw blades are excellent having tried some thin veneers and one of those little reindeer.

Back