Bandsaw template following.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I may be making around 10 identical copies out of 9mm phenolic faced ply. My question is, should I make my bandsaw jig thing such that the master template is underneath the blank, or on top? What are the pros and cons either way?

I would not bother with a bandsaw template. bandsaw just off the line rote ( rack of the eye) then template rout. bandsaw templating never worked for me. especially with even mild curves.

try it. your asking a bandsaw blade to turn on a sixpence with no sympathetic pre movements. I couldn't even get a circle jig that came with a startrite to not cut a spiral!

try it. your asking a bandsaw blade to turn on a sixpence with no sympathetic pre movements. I couldn't even get a circle jig that came with a startrite to not cut a spiral!
Thanks. I will try it. The circle jig on my little Inca works pretty well, but I'm sure you're right.

Two ways to skin the cat in this video

I wonder if results might be improved with one of these back tooth blades?

backtooth.jpg

I'm sure it must work as I've read a multitude of articles about it. I made over 50 adirondacks using patterns basically hundreds of shaped components. I bandsawed close to the line then sanded to the line.they didn't have to be a perfect shape. just close but they did have to look good and be done quickly. template routing is great for perfect but is a bit scary for a lot of components on a router table( I prefer to use handheld but the dust can be terrible)

I've been using a home made guide to cut close-ish to a template, these are fairly gentle curves, but I do then finish on my spindle moulder or router, as the blade i use is coarse:

bandsaw guide.jpg

Back