Bandsaw restoration advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete,

A good illustration of using the right tools for the job! :D

I'd get the -2RS types with rubber shields.

When you fit them, make sure that the pushing or pulling effort is NEVER transmitted through the balls as this will prematurely age the bearings.

Bob

I seem to remember the crankshaft bearing-housings in my old BSA were a shrink fit.

Had to warm up the casing first, then the bearing housing dropped in. Casing cooled, bearing housing fixed for good.. (Well at least until you warmed the casing again to pull it out! :)

You're doing well here. Looking forward to seeing the finished item.

John :)

9fingers said:
make sure that the pushing or pulling effort is NEVER transmitted through the balls as this will prematurely age the bearer.

Bob

Just a little change, :twisted: :twisted: Bob - and it becomes a rather dubious instruction!

Rob

If you warm the hub and put the bearings in the freezer they may just slip in without any effort.

Just make sure everything is very clean as a speck of dirt can make putting the bearings in very difficult.

Mick

Hi, that is just what I intend to try. Getting the whole assembly on the shaft may be the hardest part. It'll be quite bulky.

I'll be degreasing the hub and shaft before anything else. Give them both a good clean and get the grime off.

Then I'll to warm the hub and bearings in an oil bath and use something to cool the shaft. I think one of those kits for freezing water pipes may be helpful. Depends how much they cost. Sounds messy to me though.

Any thoughts?

I've just ordered the bearings from rs. £8.80 for the bearings and £7.50ish for pineapple delivery and VAT. B******S.

Whenever I have reassembled bearing on my motorbikes that are an interference fit I have found heating the casing in the oven for a while and the bearing in the freezer for a couple of hours has worked really well.

I seem to remember it was the way starting ring gears were replaced onto flywheels a few years ago, may still be the way it is done.

Mick

Hi, Pete

Use your local bearing supplier, find him in the phone book it will be cheaper.

And just tap them in with a hammer, 12, 6, 3 and 9 on a clock face lota of small taps.

Pete

Racers":1bn8ednh said:
Use your local bearing supplier, find him in the phone book it will be cheaper.

I've no doubt you are right. It's done now. I was fairly shocked by the postage though.

Just tap them in, don't worry about freezing or heating anything?

Pete

Hi,

I have done in the past things like wheel bearings swinging arm bearing etc on motorbikes, but if you can pop the hub in the oven (low heat) it will help, likewise poping the shaft in the freezer over night should be good too.

Pete

Ah well. I'd have saved 6 or 7 quid there. Unfortunately it's all ordered now.

Still, if that is the extent of my problems with this I'll be a happy man.

Now, do I paint it all since it is already apart? :lol:

My First post on this great forum ... I just bought a Wilmac Bandsaw serial number 675 ...it is in need of some slight attention but nothing much --im realtively new to using these tools as im on a furnature design course at college , so im not sure what blade is best to get for the saw ..im also not sure what size it is :-(
i will be using the saw manily to make bandsaw boxes -any suggestions which blades are best ? where to buy them from ? ill post a pic of the saw asap.

Jock":2ln6ic2s said:
My First post on this great forum ... I just bought a Wilmac Bandsaw serial number 675 ...it is in need of some slight attention but nothing much --im realtively new to using these tools as im on a furnature design course at college , so im not sure what blade is best to get for the saw ..im also not sure what size it is :-(
i will be using the saw manily to make bandsaw boxes -any suggestions which blades are best ? where to buy them from ? ill post a pic of the saw asap.

Hi Jock,
Welcome to the forum.
A forum member iajon69 (Ian John) has set up on his own and as well as selling excellent blades, is a very good source of information as to the best blades for different applications.
Blades are specified by the total length. So fit a blade and measure it under tension to get the length.

HTH

Bob

Jock,
If you look at the thread that Oldwood has mentioned you will see references to Dragon blades. Dragon is no longer trading but Ian John used to work for them and has now set up Tuffsaws.

Bob

i dunno if the bearing housing will fit in a vice or not or if you have completed this yet .If it fits in a vice squeeze bearings in by closing the vice ,use a socket 1/2 inch drive socket the same diameter as the outer ball race to press the bearings in . i wouldn't tap them in with a birmingham screwdriver the vice gives nice even pressure .The hammers for people who think vice grips make cool spanners. An engineering vice works best .Enjoy

Thank you guys for tips and links ... i know nothing about bandsaws so all advice is very usefull to me --- thanks again .

Sheik Hans":3n9zxkip said:
i dunno if the bearing housing will fit in a vice or not or if you have completed this yet .If it fits in a vice squeeze bearings in by closing the vice ,use a socket 1/2 inch drive socket the same diameter as the outer ball race to press the bearings in . i wouldn't tap them in with a birmingham screwdriver the vice gives nice even pressure .The hammers for people who think vice grips make cool spanners. An engineering vice works best .Enjoy

That is exactly what I was planning. Nice to know I'm not too far off.

The bearings are here, in the freezer at the moment. I'll see if I can do them tonight or maybe saturday.

Goodluck with the wilmac jock.

Latest posts

Back