Bandsaw refurbishment - advice needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to see what is happening, it's all visible, I think. I take it you have removed the blade! :)

That is an interesting blade configuration you have bought. What are you intending to cut with it (what material, what thickness, what direction)?

Success plastic handle was letting the nut spin although as suspected the long bolt has had it got my hopes up and found an almost identical one same thread problem is I had cut an inch off it for some reason grrrr still just need to get a bolt now.Mostly soft wood, sapela (not sure of spelling looks like mahogany but a lot softer) some Iroko, hard woods Ash, Cherry (green), american walnut and some thin euro oak, I bought the larger blade as I want to get some nice cut straight edges as I cant yet afford a chop saw/ bench saw and I've got my first craft fair on Sunday loads to do an no bleeding band saw oh well.

looks like I wasted £14 then newbies eh the one that broke was very thin about 6 tpi but left and even cut, probably the way I set it up I am a complete novice on these machines. I got it at an auction at a carving club in newstead village a while ago its been great but not had a lot of use.

6 TPI is a general-purpose blade. It's better than 10TPI but 3 TPI would be better, for ripping.
Ideally you need different blades for different tasks, just as you would use different handsaws for different tasks.
And asking a little saw like that to tension a 5/8" blade is really pushing it, I'm afraid.

well I fixed the saw, just needed a new bolt put on and the sum total of £1, I put the blade on anyway not expecting much and have been amazed at how well it cuts, I tried it on some tulip almost 2 inch thick was like a hot knife through butter well impressed.

Hallo
I have just bought a DW3401. I am concerned that there is no bearing to offset the thrust of the timber which pushes the blade back whilst cutting. my little Clark on had one. is the only thing stopping the blade being pushed back, the tension?
Or am I missing something?
thanks

Yes, you are missing the thrust bearing. Can you see a mount for it. I used to have a 3401, but can't remember the exact shape of the guide mount.
It shouldn't be too difficult to replace, the bearing is nothing special, your biggest problem will be how to mount it, if there are bits missing.
Good luck.
PS Once you have made another post or two, you will be allowed to post pictures, which would help.

Back