Bandsaw dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scockram

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello again.
Another project, another question, sorry!

So I've got myself a decent Kity 613 Bandsaw. It's a great machine, after I fixed a couple of initial problems, but the dust it kicks out is a bit of an issue. It seems to come out of every orifice and the whole saw and everything in the vicinity is covered with a layer after just a few cuts.

As a trial I attached my workshop vacuum to what I thought would be the source of the dust. I was surprised when it seemed to make very little, if any difference.

How have other owners of Kity bandsaws overcome the dust issue? Or does anyone have any general advice for dust extraction on bandsaws please? Thanks

Simon
PXL_20230122_125524945.jpg

PXL_20230122_125459081.jpg

What dust, on my BS400 nearly all the dust collects in the lower chamber with a sprinkling in the upper and all I do is give it a hoover out occasionally depending upon the usage and no extraction attached, I wish my other machines were as clean especially the mitre saw which gets a lot of use.

Don't have a Kity but most bandsaws have an extraction port under the bottom wheel where the dust comes off the gullets of the blade . I would think a chip extractor would help as well for increased air volume extraction. Lastly if you don't have a bristle brush rubbing against the bottom wheel it's worth trying to set one up.
If you want to check where all the dust goes get a scrap piece of padouk and make a few cuts. The red dust will show up everywhere ! Bandsaws and miter saws are indeed the most difficult to extract.

My bandsaw kicks its dust into the lower chamber, there's a port built into it. for extraction. If yours is kicking out dust from where youve taped your hoover, you could maybe try and cover that area to keep the dust inside the machine until it settles in the bottom chamber, and then add a dust extraction port to the lower chamber to remove it?

I've had the experience of trying to improve the extraction on 2 new machines. The first was a Startrite 440R and the second an Axminster which I purchased a few months ago. In principle they both suffered the same problems. The easiest to resolve was the bottom chamber extraction. The problem here is that the airflow within the chamber is too low to keep particles in suspension so they just collect on the floor, ie, a complete waste of airflow. Solution - disconnect it and use the flow where it's really needed.
Steve Maskery had the right idea; extract as near the point of generation as possible and create a definitive path for the air flowing INTO the extraction zone. Most extraction systems fail because the majority of air completely bypasses the region where it can pick up dust.
I rigged up a rudimentary arrangement with hardboard and duct tape and achieved an efficiency similar to Steve's 85%. The downside is that I've sacrificed the table tilt facility.
Brian

How well fitted is your zero clearance insert?
Adding holes into it really improves dust collection when you use a hose under the table near the blade.

I've never used a Kity and that said I expect it has the same inherent problem as any other bandsaw.There are many other routes for air to reach an extractor and no particular reason for the dust laden air to get any kind of priority.It gets a bit more complicated because of the tilting table requiring clearance to permit adjustment and the gap lets air pass in much greater volume than the tiny amount that comes through the table insert.Years ago I saw a machine that had a slot in the guard below the table to allow a section to adjust up or down to minimise the gap for workshop air to enter and this has to be a good thing-until somebody tilts the table without releasing the wingnut.

The brush on the lower wheel should dislodge at least some of the particles that get compressed between the blade and the tyre and an extraction port should pick up most of this

Cheers all, some food for thought here.

@recipio - So it does have a built in dust extraction port. I didn't try that initially as thought it would be more efficient to gather it at source, little did I know. I'll try attaching the vac to that next. Also, there is a blade cleaning brush in place, so that should be doing its job.

@Linus - I'll have a look at what Steve Maskery did.

@sams93 - the dust seems to come from everywhere! I only attached the vac pipe there as I figured that was the initial source of it, i.e. where it's being generated. Thinking about it - maybe the fact that it's coming out everywhere is because it's being carried all the way around on the blade. So perhaps the brush is not actually working correctly. To be investigated........

@Yojevol - thanks but by my standards I think you're at advanced level dust extraction! I need to get some basic function set up first.

@Sachakins - my zero clearance insert is a pretty tight fit, the only hole is 1 slot for the blade. I made it up as there wasn't one present when I got the saw. I didn't know about air holes, it makes sense now. I'll go away a try adding some as well, see if that improves my jury rigged suction under the table.

So I've got a few things to try now. I'll report back though I suspect that it may not be for some time! It's peak gardening season now, fruit and veg mainly, so most of my free time is consumed by that at the moment.

I used draught excluder P shape foam around all the doors on my small bandsaw. It seals those pretty good and is really cheap.
I laid it on so the edge of the door cuts into the foam, sealing it better than trying to stick it close to one edge.

Good luck.
My +1 vote is for the steve maskery method
I made something similar under a Scheppach band saw and I think it is working pretty well. I just got the extraction hose as close as I could to the action underneath.

Hello again.
Another project, another question, sorry!

So I've got myself a decent Kity 613 Bandsaw. It's a great machine, after I fixed a couple of initial problems, but the dust it kicks out is a bit of an issue. It seems to come out of every orifice and the whole saw and everything in the vicinity is covered with a layer after just a few cuts.

As a trial I attached my workshop vacuum to what I thought would be the source of the dust. I was surprised when it seemed to make very little, if any difference.

How have other owners of Kity bandsaws overcome the dust issue? Or does anyone have any general advice for dust extraction on bandsaws please? Thanks

Simon
View attachment 159431

View attachment 159432
Hello,
Mine was exactly the same, dust everywhere. I also had a Kity 619 table saw, that was just as bad I sold them both on. The working would just get solid with sawdust, and that was using a powerful extractor. The replacement machines, a Startrite bandsaw and a Bosch table saw don’t have the same issues.
Regards

Back